Nasty tin screws

After 36 years of being on my car, the tin sheet metal screws are very hard to get off. Liquid wrench is on and tapping the top on the nut didn't free it. Before I chisel them off of drill them out any suggestions.My brother in law says I should use the car for an anchor(very funny). I can get mean to the car but would like to save the tin. Any suggestions.

Reply to
Jeff Barnes

Heat is a good friend for work like that. Maybe propane or MAPP gas if you don't have the Oxy-Acet torch. Vise Grips are useful too but the screws might break in 2. :-( Some people like PB-BLaster instead of Liquid Wrench, and there are more options out there like Kroil and Wrench Ease. Heat is fast but you may need to repaint afterwards and of course............ DO THINGS SAFELY WITH PROTECTION AND A FIRE EXTINGUISHER!!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I've gotten mine out with an impact screw driver - it is basically a screwdriver that turns very slightly when you bang on it with a hammer. Since you're banging on it, it will not have the tendency to cam out. Sears sells them for less then $20, I think.

Replace them with stainless. Definitely worth it..

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Be sure to give the oil time to work. Sometimes it takes a few days with some tapping on the part with a hammer in the interval before the penetrating oil can get into the seams.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Reply to
Robert

A generous swab of anti-seize compound will also work. I go pretty heavy with the stuff when putting the sheetmetal screws in and I've never had one strip/round/break off that was properly treated when it was installed. Same advice goes for the fasteners on the exhaust.

Chris

Reply to
halatos

I had the same problem two weeks ago. I found that the vice grips are the way to go, along with some liquid wrench. I have heard good things about the impact screwdriver also...

Ben

Reply to
volkswatson