Nearing completion

The Wonderbus's valves are adjusted, tin is on. Oh hey -- the Bustedbus.com thermostat and linkage and flaps all work great. Took a heat gun to the thermo and watched in fascination as the linkage opened the flaps. Had to make a judgment call: hooked the horizontal link's spring to a little hole on the tin forward (front is front) of the oil cooler. Could not find any illustrations of how that thing gets hooked.

The tin forward of the shroud, and the breastplate, is in pretty crummy condition. Note to self to get replacement pieces for the next time I pull the engine.

Tomorrow: install the SVDA dizzie, modify the right carb, mount the left carb (have to put the engine in before mounting the R carb), modify where the fuel line goes through the firewall per Hoover with lamp parts, static time it. Overhaul the throwout bearing, replace transmission rear seal. Inspect starter. Mount the heater boxes and the new stock bug two-holer muffler on the engine. Or maybe wait until the engine is in the bus to do that -- probably easier to hump it into place with less weight and stuff in the way.

Then: put in the oil, hook up the wires and hoses and things. Hook up the battery -- will the carbs fuel up just with cranking? Or do I need to prime/get gas into them somehow?

It will either be running Monday afternoon or I'll have arranged to have it rolled off the end of the Oceanside pier. Blub blub.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Just crank it...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Wouldn't hurt to put a bit of gas in each carburator bowl. It will work otherwise, but you may have to crank for a while.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Hi Max, thanks again for the cork valve cover gaskets.

Sometimes the learning curve is steep, sometimes not. Where would I find the bowls on these Kadrons? Next to the water tumblers and coffee cups?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

DOWN THE HATCH!!!

;)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Again with the techo-speak.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Here's two new pictures, just for you.

http://63.230.74.177/ghia/MVC-468F.JPGhttp://63.230.74.177/ghia/MVC-469F.JPG We're only talking about maybe 1/2" of gas. You don't want to flood it, just enough to feed the accelerator pump so the engine will fire. After that, the fuel pump can take over.

BTW, hope yours doesn't look nasty like this one.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

So you pitch water down the same gullet that the carb breaths through. But a 1/2'' of gas - the gas is not going sit there, it will trickle down into the intake manifold, no? So shouldn't I be thinking in terms of fluid ounces or milliliters of gas?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

WAIT -- I MEANT PITCH /GAS/, NOT WATER!!!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Try a "squirt" of gasoline straight down the carb, so that it WOULD go right into teh intake manifold. Then fire the beast up with throttle half open. It will sputter, then come to life with a ROAR for a few seconds, then die. Hit it with another squirt, and repeat. After 2-3 times the fuel pump will have had enough time to fill the carb bowl and the accelerator pump will take care of the squirt for you. And, the engine would start running for real. The starter alone won't always make the engine turn fast enough for the fuel pump to start pumping gas. They are not as effective pumps when they are dry.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Actually, I would put some gas in the float bowl so that the accel pump can get some. You can remove the carb top as I've done in the second picture. Just enough to make the float come up a bit. Put the top back on.

While cranking the engine pump the throttle and you'll get a squirt out of the acc pump. That should allow the engine to fire and hopefully the fuel pump will take over before the gas in the carb runs out.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

With two carbs this could be quite the exercise in not spilling gas all over the place. What's a good gas squirter?

Nor am I.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Not that I'd reccomend it but... When I installed Walter's engine I just sucked the hose from the tank until I got gas in it, plugged it to the pump and just cranked.. started right up...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski