New addition to the Fleet!!!

Well, its offical. I gotts me a shiny new (well actually its kinda dull and pretty old) 1971 Westy poptop!!!

Me and my buddy went down to Ft. Myers this afternoon and took a look at it. when I called him and told him I was about ten minutes from him, he proceeds to say that now the camper won't run right and keeps stalling! We get there and he's outside trying to get this thing going, as we walk around it nothing is what he says it is (it's not bad but it was not worth half what he wanted for it at least for me). he wanted $1500 when i first saw the add and then it went down to $1250 last night. I went down there expecting to offer $1100 if it was in the condition he said it was in. But after what we saw and they way it was running ruff we told him we'd give him $500 and haul it out right now (we figured on calling AAA). He said hed take $800, we said no Freaking way and then he gave in (I think he needed it out of there right away and $$ really bad). Anyway, I drove it out of there (never stalled once) got to a gas station a few miles down the road filled it up tinkered with the timing and idle and off we went. ran fine (allthough a down on power a little) all the way up (about

50-60 miles) on I-75 never stalled or sputtered at speed once and ran about 65mph. Plus it actually drives pretty nice, brakes feel great,runs straight down the road doesn't even shake or shimmy! Through town going through the gears its real weak (almost like a miss) and has a dead spot but it got me home without incident. It didn't seem to run hot and my buddy followed me close the whole way (no tag on it) and said it didn't once puff any kind of smoke or spew oil so thats a plus. I'll have to dig in tommorow and see whats what with the motor. I don't think my wife is too thrilled with another VW being here so my new address might actualy be like the Chris Farley motivational speaker routine "a VAN, down by theRIVER" soon ;) Mark Detro Englewood, FL
Reply to
Mark Detro

.....................You poured motor oil all over her and her shoes. Now you come home with a camper van that needs some work. I better not show this post to my wife or you'll be an even bigger idiot than me.............lol

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Sounds like a great deal for you

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

It worked out pretty good, (except for the wife being super pissed). Plus I found out why it wasn't running right, the 3/4 side intake flange (single port) was way loose. I tightened it down and it now fires on the first try, don't even need to pump the gas! I did a quick re-adjustment to get the carb back to close to where it should be and it's pretty good to go! Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro