no spark on 3&4

hey all...its been a while

ive been neglecting my bug and i want to get it running...last time i tried i got too frustrated but i think i took too long to get back to it =/

last time i battled with it i couldnt get spark on cyls 3&4...i have good compression on all cyls...even with starting fluid i get nothing on

3&4...1&2 plugs have some light brown on them so theyre firing but 3&4 are clean

ive tried new plugs and swapping wires...nada...tried moving the wires around 1-cyl off on the cap and twisting the dizzy to compensate(to see if it was the cap) and its still the same...tried two different caps and rotors also

any suggestions? i plan on pulling(more like pushing =)) the bug from behind the shed and into the driveway so i can work on it...im thinking about dropping the engine and going through it again just to make sure the moisture didnt have at it

-james

Reply to
jabobia

You didn't say that you *actually* tested for spark at the ends of the plug wires. If you're just going by the fact that 3&4 don't appear to be firing, you may be led astray.

Have someone crank engine while you test for actual spark. (Pull 1&2 off also so the engine can't accidentally start.)

If there *is* spark, I would look for manifold leaks, especially at the manifold to head gasket on that side.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

thanks jim

i cant remember if i actually tested for spark...i gave up =|

bug's tires are low and the battery is dead in my suburban so i cant really move it around in the grass til i get the suburban fired up(another neglected car...car mover by day - mosquito killer by night lol[bad oil ring in one cyl])

im gonna pull all the plugs out and squirt some pb blaster in the cyls and in the carb since its rusted

the fuel line was clogged from the tank the last time i checked too =/

ill letcha know how it goes

-james

Reply to
jabobia

well i got a battery in it, checked my wires, checked the oil, cleaned out the carb put some fresh gas in the bowl, tried to crank and...the starter gave it its best but it wouldnt budge

tried turning it by hand with a breaker-bar...not budging

pulled out all plugs...one has rust between the gap(cyl 2) and cyl 4's plug came out with something...obviously someone used it to fix a fudged-up thread but its not a heli-coil type..its a big round steel thing that the plug actually screws into...its gotta be 4mm total wider in dia. than the plug

i ended up dropping my glasses while working on it and a lens popped out so i couldnt wear em...next i squirted some PB blaster in cyl 2 and managed to get squirted in my right-eye when it ricochet'd off of the tin...nothing ever seems to go right =/

ill try in again in a few hours but im still thinking i need to drop the engine again...i already have the car up on stands, i just wanted to try it before i pulled it out for no reason

-james

Reply to
jabobia

alright got the engine out and on the ground stripped to the long block...alot of orange-red liquid came out of the header when i took it off and theres crud in the #2 exh. port =/...looks like i did it this time...

also - this time i did the through-the-right-fender method and it worked nice but i had to remove the fan housing to get it out...if i would have used the last notch on the jack stands it would have cleared but oh well...alot better than jacking the rear 10ft in the air

-james

Reply to
jabobia