Odd noises while driving

As I made my return trip from the car show here yesterday, I noticed a very disturbing and loud noise in the back of my 66 Bug. It was very inconsistant but seemed to happen when I might hit a big pavement seam of bump with my rear right hand tire. It was as If someone had smacked the torsion bar or some other solid part with a large hammer. A fellow enthusiast dropped by the house after I got home and we were talking about it. He suggested the bushing in the rear torsion bar was bad. Since I did not touch them when I rebuilt this car ,and the pan is a 67 model(I assume the bushings are original) this sounds plausable.

Can I replace them easily and safely? I got out my manual and read what to do. Looks Like I just unbolt the end cap on the torsion bar and remove what is left of the originals and replace with new ones. YES???

Thanks! Mike West/ chopped 66 bug.

Reply to
Mike West

Check that rear body to frame rubber mount right near the shock.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

If it is indeed the bushing... BEWARE! the spring plate (the arm) is under alot of tension... it potentially dangerous. If not done properly that spring plate can do some nasty things to you! Like mangle an arm or a leg it not darn near severing it! It could kill you I suppose if you had the wrong part of your body in the way, Like your head. There is a stop, or a small ledge it sits on you have to pry it off and lower it SLOWLY to release the tension. There is a tool that supposedly makes it easier or safer...

BTW is your car lowered in the back? Is the BIG rubber bullet looking stop thing in place? this thing...

Was the car loaded down with 4 adults? If so... it very well could be the suspension clunking against the metal stop. BTW it is a terrible thud when the big rubber bullet thing is missing and the stops hit each other.... been there heard that, replaced the rubber stop.

But if you are replacing bushings.... read and understand the process. Follow the safety procedures!

vwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvw dragenwagen

Reply to
dragenwagen

Reply to
Mike West

I was the only one in the car. I know it is not the rubber suspension stop.

Reply to
Mike West

Do you weigh as much as 4 grown adults? ;)

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Nope not that one. I am talking about the rubber cushion between the body and the frame. Remember the body bolts to the frame/pan and there should be rubber separating them. I have seen this cushion go bad and it will allow the frame and body to hit causing some rather nasty bumping noises. ;-) See it here in the first picture (large one) after they remove the bolt

I did not see the cushion in this picture.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I replaced all seals and the body to pan seal when I rebuilt the car. Just didn't think about the rear torsion bar bushings.

Mike

Reply to
Mike West