Oil Filler Filter

Is there supposed to be a filter inside the oil filler on a 1600 engine? I just ran across this photo and I am wondering if my filler is missing some parts. See link below for photo I am talking about.

Brian Turner

It's not a filter, it's a breather. It allows crank case gasses to return through the air filter without blowing oil back. The the oil condenses on the mesh and runs back down the filler tube. It is a stock item, though the later models don't have a drip tube to the ground.

John

Reply to
dragoneyre

The photo he has shows a filter, or sieve in the neck to keep big chunks, like bottle caps from falling in while adding oil.

Reply to
J Stafford

Do you know where I can get one of these? I have never seen it in any catalog.

Reply to
Brian Turner