OT: Fiberglass

OT - I have looked through our technical library for information on refinishing fiberglass, but alas all we have is literature on modern composites! Perhaps Net Wisdom can keep me from going down the wrong path and recommend a good book.

I've got to decide whether to strip the Kelmark's paint or sand it down, and how to do it right. I'm inclined not to use fiberglass paint stripper because of a bad experience once - it hardly worked at all and I can imagine what a mess I could make sanding it improperly.

Reply to
johnboy

Check with marine applications on refinishing . Some of their products and methods are very good for land use also. The marine industries fostered the sealant products such as por-15 that we use today.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Sanding it is tricky; an amature usually winds up with a *very* wavy surface. If you're *very* careful not to leave it on too long, you can use "Aircraft Stripper" (brand name). Do *only* small areas at a time - about one or two square feet, depending on the amount of paint buildup. Make

*sure* you wash it off throughly. Then sand it with 180 on a DA, prime with epoxy then high-build primers. Block it smooth & flat using paint paddles & sanding blocks/pads, filling any low spots with "Metalglaze" # 416, & prime it with epoxy again. Sand it with 400 or 500 wet & paint it with base-coat clear-coat. Sand again with 1000 wet & buff it using "Micro polishing compound" & a final polish with "Foam Polishing Pad Glaze". Or... bring it to me - I'm in Ga. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

America - made in China! :-(

Reply to
ThaDriver