OT: getting a title for a vehicle from a non-title state

I was wondering if any of you have moved to a state that requires a title for a vehicle after having lived in a state where certain vehicles are not titled. I know that in Georgia, they used to not title vehicles from prior to 1955.

The reason is: I would like to buy a used moped. However most used mopeds are in non-title states, and Illinois insists on having a title even for mopeds. Since there are more than a few owners of old VW's here, I thought someone might have run across the problem before. At least they don't have to be inspected. (All VW's after '67 have to get smog checked in the Chicago and E.St. Louis areas.)

Charles in Palatine.

Reply to
Charles Fregeau

Ben Boyle

You should be able to apply for a registration/title in the title state using the bill of sale and documentation from the non-title state. The title state will then issue a new title for the moped. Thats how it's done in NY.

paperwork to get a title from a place like

80's or earlier. However, there must be a
Reply to
John Cassara

Contact you local DMV office and just ask them. This has to be a problem they deal with all the time. I suspect there is a simple solution, like just showing them a bill of sale.

-

Jim Adney

Thanks, I will have to try them. I'm moving anyway, I have to go down and enter my new address. . .

Charles in Palatine

Now in Kankakee

Reply to
Charles Fregeau