OT: Hurricane Katrina

We didn't even get a puff of wind from the whole thing, but several local stations have already run out of regular gas and the ones that still have some of it are starting to charge over $3 a gallon already. Glad you made it through with minimal trouble.

Reply to
Shag

Wish I could report those miniscule damages for our people at the Gulf. Now for the next wave of problems. Seems that Gasoline flow has been pretty much shut off from the Gulf area and several stations are running out of gas as far north as Huntsville and prices are soaring. Several places around are already over $3 per gallon Regular grade.

This cane is going to be felt for many months and over many states.

Hell, I'm in Kankakee Illinois. We get most of our gas from Texas and we're at 3.19 a gallon today.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

Epedemic Price Gouging.................

Although I am ok with it as I don't live way outside my means anymore (divorce fixed most of that 10 years ago or so), but It still doesn't excite me to pay more than the gas is truely worth in terms of "mark-up". Hope this is temporary, but I feel like it's just a start. We (the USA) are pretty much spoiled in comparison to the rest of the world. I went home last night it was 2.69 a gallon. this morning on the way to work , it was 2.89 a gallon. I am quite certain that the gas they purchased to fill the station tanks with, didn't change that much overnite........if at all.

I heard an "expert" on the radio today say that gas prices are likely to go up another dollar and a half to two dollars within the next couple of weeks........................anyone looking to buy an excursion?????

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizzical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

People are dumping large cars down here. Anything that get less than

30mpg has gotten hit pretty bad in value in the last months.

Liter of premium is 1.1 dolars a liter. Expected to be 1.3 to 1.5 dolars a liter in two weeks.

Reply to
Eduardo K.

That represents a 10% price increase over 2.78 which is what it was last night. I had to hunt to find a station still at 2.79 to fill up.

We're all getting gouged. We now have gas here 60% higher than last year. I'm waiting to see the 1 millard mark notes make a reappearance since 1923.

Also, the gas price here is not due to taxes as it is in much of Europe. Watch the reported profits of the oil companies this quarter. The government is getting little benifit from higher prices.

They are calling the gas stations and telling them to raise the prices without delivering any more gas. And telling them if they don't raise the price, they won't GET any more gas. They pulled this trick in 1990, too.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

Yeah, those predictions are often self fullfilling prophesies. The gouging is obscene but that's the way the system works.

I keep this site synched in my PDA to find the lowest price for a particular area:

Paid $2.67 last night, where most prices are 2.80 and up.

Reply to
Remco

I know everybody knows that fuel is expensive in the UK, but with prices approaching £1 a litre, we currently pay around $6.78 per gallon, and yes, I have converted from litres to US gallons!

Just to put it in perspective...

And yes I do know that much of the cost in the UK is taken by the Government in tax.

And no I am not in any way trying to belittle the impact of the hurricane.

-- Colin Swan

Reply to
Colin Swan

Very cheap...in Portugal on gallon cost $5.83 (1 liter = 1.24 Euros)

Joao

Joao Eliseu

The fuel is expensive in UK but don't forget that the salary in Portugal is less that 1/2 of UK

Joao

Joao Eliseu

I guess so - and I also got my price slightly wrong. In the UK, petrol is currently 93p a litre, which makes the equivalent price of a US gallon $6.33.

-- Colin Swan

Reply to
Colin Swan

Finally after almost 5 days I recieved some good news from the Gulf Coast Mississippi area. Doug and Cheryl Saucier who own and operate Jus' Bugs an EMPI Distributor in Pass Christian , MS are alive and doing quite well. It was a brief phone message left on my cell phone. =A0 He is one heck of a good guy and this is the first good news and only contacts I have recieved from any of the Gulf Coast VW people. Hoping to hear from Ed Thompson or anyone from The Gulf Coast Mississippi VW Club in Biloxi or The Imaginary Bug Club in New Orleans. Just spoke to a Member of Imaginary Bug Club and she stated that most of her club membes evacuated the area and are safe. As to the fate of there homes and VW's they don't know and won't know until later. I wish them well as they fight to just survive. Thanks for all your prayers.

Be Cool.....AIRCOOLED !!

"Wild" Bill Tucker

President Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, Florida

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug "The Grape"

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic

Rare Air VW Club Website:

or

Wild Bill Tucker

In the UK, petrol is currently 93p a litre, which makes the equivalent price of a US gallon $6.33.

....blah blah blah...useless information without other corresponding facts. Fact: Entry level postiton at my company pays $7.50 an hour. This a book manufacturing facility and fortune 500 company....not a fast food joint. Fact: top operator pay is $15 an hour with a *maximum* of 3% a year increase. Fact: Aproximately 30% of net pay is taken in various taxes....so the *actual* entry leve rate of pay recieved is about $5 an hour take home or around $200 for a 40 hour week. So lets compare apples with apples people. What do you take home a week in the UK where your gas is $6.33 a gallon? And what percentage of you have

30+ mile commutes to earn that money? And remember of course that just one president ago we were at $1 a gallon...so we have tripled the price of gas (and other things) in just 6 years...I think *that* is woirthy of complaint regardless of the fact that *your* governments may be alllowing *your* oil barons to bend you over even harder than ours are. As they say in the UK....Cheers.
Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Dude, you gotta get out of there.

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

...Dude I never said the shift supervisor made anywhere near the entry level pay. I do, however, have 10 or so employees at any given time that are pretty close to entry level. And believe me *my* bosses have heard what I think of our starting pay....but it is what it is.,..and there are certainely worse jobs to be had. I just threw that out to get a little comparison from like jobs in the UK to see if our gas prices really were such a "good deal" when compared with our current pay scale. =-) As I stated before....without such info the price of gas is meaningless. I suspect you may find that the UK'ers will likely be paid a higher wage, and that the cost of their petrol is thus relevant and likewise equivalant, though I could be worng. I also doubt many of them have the same distance to commute as we do here in the US. I know of several people at my company (myself included until recently) who travel more than 40 miles to get there each day. So...as I said...lets compare apples to apples. What does a basic manufacturing job pay in the UK? I gave both entry level and top pay prior to stepping into management in a relatively common field....now how about some like numbers?

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Gary, the *real* difference in our gasoline prices and the UK's is the amount of tax...our goverment rapes us all over the board, but theirs seems to get the lion's share from petrol...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani