Swing Axle Boot

Due to replace both axle boots on the 74 bug. Haynes says split is to be at rear, current torn one is up. Muir says either. Apart from not facing down, is there any particular preference ?

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

I think split UP or DOWN is bad. Axle travel flexes the 2 mating surfaces quite severely.

Face it either to rear or front. (I suppose to rear is less likely to have rain water enter.)

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks

OK. Will go for rear facing then. Probably explains why one is torn. The other one is leaking from axle joint & is a real boot, so who knows how long that has been there ! I went to replace the rear flexi hoses, and found these so will add onto list whilst the wheels are off. Managed to break the brake pipe that goes over the gearbox. Severely corroded at flexi joint. Broke at 4pm on Saturday, got one made up & back home by 5pm. How about that !

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

NOT up or down, because the split type boot does not allow proper flex in the direction of the seam. That's why the seam (or split, whatever you want to call it) has to point to either front or rear.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Front or rear 45deg up that should be..

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

The split is supposed to be on the neutral axis. That means horizontal, or nearly so. That usually means jacking up the wheels until the axle housing is horizontal. The split is usually placed on the front side of the axle housing.

-R.S.Hoover

Reply to
veeduber

To the rear is correct.

Since the swing axles flex up and down, putting the seam to the rear allows the seam to flex. Putting it to the front would allow the same flexibility, but would be more likely to catch on something while driving.

Up or down would make this part of the boot as rigid as possible to the necessary flexing, which would probably lead to premature cracking of the boot where it joins the seam.

-

Jim Adney