OT: I caught a bandit the other night....

Tired of all the cat fights at 2am waking me up I baited a trap right outside my front door. The trap is chained to a pine tree so that no one can walk off with it. Expecting to find my catch Friday morning I go out and find nothing. I had forgotten about it by that evening. Saturday rolls around and it's noon and time to go get lunch. I walk out the from door and find out Friday night I caught a bandit.

Damn I wish it were the middle of December when the fur is prime...

4play (@\|/@)(.\~/.)
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

You want some coon skins, just drive around in the chicago suburbs for a while.

This week alone there were three roadkills on my 12 minute route to work. If at some point there is NOT a rotting carcass somewhere, I'm surprised.

;)

Reply to
Seth Graham

if its a stray, you can try 'relocating' it... I regularly do said relocations of strays that get to close to my cats' food trys...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Relocating is not permitted by the local DNR [department of natural resources]. DNR wants it released where caught or preferably terminated.

There are too many coons and not enough trapping due to PETA destroying the fur market.

Reply to
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

Sure I want coon skins. Butt without skid marks. I just can't get my schedule turned around during trapping season. :-( A local trapper [one of the very few around] traps yotes in the burbs during prime season.

A yote parka would be nice ;-) This year I have seen the most yotes ever in Ohio.

Reply to
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

different local laws, I guess :)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

ODNR is for the state of ohio but they do make the rules for the counties to go by. Each county in the state has a game warden who enforces those rules. Some game wardens may cover more than one county.

Each state has their own version of DNR and sets the state laws on "game" [non domesticated] animals.

Reply to
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

Reply to
jimt

This one didn't care at all about me being around. The dog however was a different story. I guess a lack of trapping and hunting by the humans has taught this coon a lot. So has the hunting of dogs. ;-) Round here the yotes are starting to get braver. I recone they will start packing together sooner or later. Now ifn we could only teach them to go after them there PETA members.... :-)

Reply to
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

It's not uncommon for us to come home late afternoon or early evening to find the cats and a coon sharing a food bowl at the same time. Even have a possum that joins in. There they all are, just having a food fest and being the best of friends. Stupid cats.

Our biggest pain in the butt currently is several very large red foxes. These suckers are huge. I keep waiting for a cat to go missing.

Randy

RSMEINER

Mmmmm. Very large red fox. I wish I could get my schedule turned around during trapping season. :-(

Reply to
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 01:27:11 GMT, "\(O\\|/O\)\(.\\~/.\)" shared the following:

mmmm.... Coon 'n dumplin's. Jest like maw used to make.

*wipes tear from cheek*

-- Travis FOR SALE: '63 VW Camo Baja... $1000 *FIRM*

that soak into your ears are whispered, not yelled.

:wq!

Reply to
travis

Ifn Ida node dat I culda cent ya sum. yotes proly et it by now.

Reply to
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

Reply to
jimt

They caught a mountion lion in the middle of Omaha last week.

Randy

RSMEINER

The neighborhood we just moved into had a pretty bad woodchuck and coon issue.....until we moved in.....Millie (our coonhound) has taken out 4 chucks, one opossum, and one heron (got 2 of my koi before she caught it). No coons caught, but none hanging around any more either....surprisingly....she hasn't bothered the local cats (including the

3 we own) at all....so the neighbors like us still:)....give em time....I'm sure that will change....

Sneaks

Reply to
Sneaks