OT: New worm

For crissakes get a freakin virus scanner people!!!!!!!!!!U*$(#*$(#_*()(_%$)@%R$I(+_@%_+@

im tired of getting like 50 mails a day.

-- Jim Buys Vintage Speedwerks Vintage VW's and CUSTOM Vinyl graphics

Jim Buys

.....................I'm getting something between 100 and 200 every 24 hours. Up until a few days ago, I never got more than maybe a dozen.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

.................This is crazy!

......... Right now, I'm averaging about 25 of these worm generated 'microsoft patches' etc every hour. I've never seen anything like it.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Reply to
still in primer

I was getting dozens. Yesterday, I asked my ISP to consider refusing receipt for any e-mails which met the criteria common to these messages. Today: no "MS patches".

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 18:49:37 GMT, still in primer began spewing the following from their cake-hole:

I get over 150 emails a day at work. About 25 of them are spam. I set up a filter to send anything that doesn't come from someone I work with straight to a "probably spam" folder and take a look at it once a day and can usually delete everything in that folder by taking a 10 second glance at the subjects of the email. They also have spam blocking set up here at work so a large majority of it never even gets to my local filters. Whenever I have to supply an email address online for non-business-related purposes I use my hotmail email address. I set that account up to filter out as much spam as it will and their spam filters seem to catch over 90% of the crap that gets sent to that account. The combination of these things keeps me close enough to spam-free that it doesn't really bother me.

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

that soak into your ears are whispered, not yelled.

:wq!

Reply to
travis

.................I just made an email rule on my OE6 to put every email that has an attachment directly into my deleted items folder. After looking at the other available message rules, I see that there are "do not download from the server" and "delete from the server" options that I could choose. I can't remember ever getting, in the past few years, anything with an attachment from anyone that I know. What does the the 'do not download' rule do? Do you still get the header but not the body of the message and is there a way to get that message from the server after reading the subject header?

.........Are there any nerds out there who want to help this doofus from the stoneage?

:-)

Reply to
Tim Rogers

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:14:56 -0400, "Tim Rogers" began spewing the following from their cake-hole:

I don't use OE but it probably means don't actually copy the message to your hard drive, but leave it on the hard drive of the server instead.

Try it out. Set it up to leave it on the server, then send yourself an email, wait a few seconds, then check your email and see what happens?

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

that soak into your ears are whispered, not yelled.

:wq!

Reply to
travis

I find it crap that people have to do this now.. it's no longer a minority thing, the bulk of email I send usually has to go to a hotmail account because the person it's intended for is "afraid" to give me their real email address.

That's beyond insane, it defies description.

Wonder how many of these have to happen before someone sues Microsoft and it's ruled that software companies can be held liable for distributing insecure software. Boy would THAT be a precedent I'd like to see set.

In addition to a precedent that says it's within the law to publicly flog a spammer.

Reply to
Seth Graham

The do not delete from server option is mail client independent. It just means that you leave a copy of the message on the server AND have a local copy of the message on your machine. If you do not periodically clean out the mail on the server, then one of two things happens: The ISP may periodically flush all mail older than 'n' days old; or, new inbound email is bounced because your mailbox becomes full.

Many people use the do not delete from server feature, on a secondary machine, to ensure that they have a complete set of messages on their primary computer. In example, I use that feature on the computer at my weekend cabin to ensure that all the messages will be available on my M

- F home computer.

Tim

Reply to
The Guy

and there is vmware too.. a complete windoze pc inside a linux box.

I live out of converting people to Linux too....

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Definitely off topic there... WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator is what it stands for) is out there, but I have never been able to get it running with any reliability. More or less, it would run VERY simple Windows games, but nothing useful. It relies upon an operating environment (thus, it's not an emulator) rather than a virtual machine like vmware does. If at all possible, get vmware. It's considerably better. I have yet to find a program that doesn't run with Windoze running in vmware. What I found neatest about it was that I could network the virtual machine with the real one and they showed up on the network as two systems. I had pier to pier networking running with only one network card. File sharing was a snap under Samba.

Reply to
Shane

Is it me?.............Sorry, I never do know when I have one.

The only time I ever used a virus scanner I got a virus and had to reload my OS.................That sucked wirse to me.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

ARRR I say we castrate 'em and feed 'em what's cut off! Those dirty filthy spammin rat bastards!

Reply to
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

Are we talking SPAM, viruses, or both? If you're getting 50 mails a day about the same subject from the people you usually deal with then yeah it's prob a virus. Something that I learned, if you setup your e-mail to only send and read plain text you can easily tell what the incoming attachments are by the extension. 99% of the time, someone that sends you a .vb file is infected. Two cents for what its worth, Petrie

Reply to
Petrie

Preachin' to the choir here. Not that I'm convinced linux is the nirvana of operating systems, but it's a far cry better than the offerings from Redmond.

I do everything short of playing games under linux, because I trust windows that little. Incidentially I'm going on 10 years of not a single virus on any of my machines, and it hasn't been longer cause I was pretty much still in diapers prior to that.

My sole windows box (I call it my "wintendo") is firewalled, has nothing installed, for sure doesn't browse the web or read emails, and all it's allowed to do is connect to multiplayer game servers.

This last month has been particularily bad for Microsoft, just when you think it's finally over, it starts back up again. If I was the tinfoil hat sort, I'd say these worms were being released just to prove a point. Which would mean they're probably set up by a linux zealot, which will probably reflect badly on linux at some point, but I suppose in this case the ends justify the means. ;)

Reply to
Seth Graham

Im glad theres people like me, and i thought i had issues.

I did find a virus on my computer. But it had to be from a backup CD i had. But nothing bad at all. I run win 98.

I asked my service provider to help with the emails, and they said i got a virus on my computer which is sending out a virus. I looked up the virus they were talking about. And it was the one that the windows xp,me etc... were having few weeks ago.

So i gotta email them again.

BUT YES, im getting freaking 10-20 of this freaking microsoft emails per hour

anyone know how this virus works. Is it getting our email addresses off newsgroup, or just finding it off address books?

and my service has block, but i tried blocking emails that contain "microsoft" but it doesn't work. it really sucks

Reply to
Erik

The Guy wrote in news:9pKab.2162$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny02.gnilink.net:

M - F computer? Surely you don't hate it that much...

Wait...Main Frame...Monday - Friday...never mind

Reply to
cloud8

Well...it is running an MS OS...so a variety of M - F options could apply. :)

Reply to
The Guy

...................I count 293 of them in 24 hrs (11pm yesterday to the same time today).

Reply to
Tim Rogers