OT Watercooled

Click on link. Self Explanatory....

Bill Berckman

You look younger than I pictured you, Bill. ;-)

Reply to
Neil

LOL I needed a good laugh. The 67 threw and shredded the fan belt on the interstate 75 yesterday and had to call a tow truck. The only good thing was that the tow driver got there in 15 minutes, and took the extra time to back the truck into my driveway and rolled the now dead

67 off the flatbead and right > You look younger than I pictured you, Bill. ;-)
Reply to
Bill Berckman

How far did you drive the 67 before noticing the problem?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Probably 6 or 7 miles on the interstate. It was heated up pretty good by then and some smoke was coming out the back. The smoke was coming from the right side of the engine. Did not lock the engine up because it still turns when I crank the starter, but car will not start. It did not fry the electrical wiring because all of the lights still work fine.

Reply to
Bill Berckman

That sucks. I was hoping when you called it dead, you just meant inoperable until you got a new belt. Hopefully some of those with more experience will have an idea of how to proceed.

I think I will install a buzzer on my generator light circuit...

Reply to
Michael Cecil

That's SOP for serious off-road machines. The usual method is to use a pair of small relays, one wired to the oil pressure warning light (or switch), the other to the dynamo charge indicator circuit. Arrange the wiring so that the horn is hot when you have oil pressure but do not show any output from the dynamo.

Other methods are to install a pressure switch on the front of the blower housing, to tie the charge indicator into the tach, rig the horn to a Hall Effect sensor on the dynamo pulley, and so forth, the idea being to set off the horn when the engine is running but the dynamo (and blower) are not.

The best method for non-racers, in my opinion, is to condition a relay from the charge indicator circuit so as to turn on half a dozen ultra-bright LED's, at least two of which will always be in the driver's line of sight. In fact, it's not a bad idea to apply to your OP as well.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
veeduber

Thanks for the ideas. :)

Reply to
Michael Cecil

One thing to consider, I know a ton of gay ACVW owners!!!

Reply to
Ben Boyle