Pictures of engine start.

No english text yet. Funniest part was face of gas station attendants when they saw us with a bug gas tank in the trunk of a Golf :)

Eduardo Kaftanski

Glad you got it started but there must be more to the story.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Congratulations Eduardo! Make shure you get some English text for that, you need to hook up the vacuum on the dizzy aswell... :o)

J.

Reply to
BergRace

ah... yes... and I need a decent air cleaner, and a generator thats hooked up.

will try to get en english text there today.

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

The complete story of the day is more or less this...

I got up around noon and changed the brake light switch I had discovered disconected and of course, non functional, when removing the gas tank last weekend. I then avoided the whole situation for several hours. Around 5 in the afternoon Sonia asked me if I was just afraid to try and start it.

That was the call of arms :)

I got up again, got the gas tank on the trunk of the Golf and got 5000 chilean pesos of fuel in it. (around US$8, a bit under 10 liters). I then installed the gas tank with new hose and new clamps.

Fuel level was not high enough for gravity, so I disconected the line at the fuel pump and sucked until I got fuel. Yes I tasted fuel for several hours.:=)

I then cranked it up until the oil light got out, and then some 30 seconds more, installed the plugs, and started it up. Its started and idled on the second try.

I raised up the idle up around 2000 rpms and it ran for around 5 or 6 minutes and then stalled. I cranked it up and started right up and ran for another couple of minutes, and then died again. I could not restart it again, as the battery was completely gone. The stalling was probably the idle cutoff closing when the battery went flat...

I will get a bat charger today and try again later. Maybe get it around the block once to get the gearbox moving and warm enough to change its oil (and try to see where its leaking).

Later today I will install the regulator box. I had avoided it until now as I have to rewire a lot of this part of the car... I had a very strage alt conversion when I got the car, so most generator related wires are cut off.

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

OT, but is that a fence running up the hill in the background of this picture?

And U B da man, Eduardo! Lookin good!

Reply to
jjs

powerlines... :)

thanks :)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Thanks for the story, I love it when a plan comes together.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Check out this web page translater:

The translations are not correct, but they can be pretty funny.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

I think this is close:

I like this line: Of return in house, bujias put, a pair of returns so that the oil light is extinguished, and to walk excrement!

Reply to
David Gravereaux

jajajajajaja........

proper translation would be:

Upon returning home, I cranked it some time to build oil pressure, put the plugs on and the sucker started right up. :)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski