Engine start, take 2. Very long but interesting..:)

No pics this time, sorry.

I wired the generator today. Turned the key to the on position to test the light. It came on bright. I moved the key to start, the engine started instantly and idled by itself!!!!! For 20 seconds. Then died. No way I could restart it... battery died. Engine no go.

Not to give up so easily, I started doing jims procedure from memory. Retimed the engine (was around 4 deg too late) and tried again. No go.

Accel pump squirted, so I assumed gas gas there. No go still. Ok, took out gashose to carb, turned engine, no gas comes out. Aha! gotcha..

Sucked on hose from tank, got only some air, no fuel, very hard to suck.... Then I remembered Travis saying something about the lenght of the hose under the tank being critical. Too short, or too long and it would bind. Of course I had replaced it todays ago and just eyeballed its lenght...

Gas looking under the tank from the wheel well, hose is biding. Try to take wheel out, waaaaaay too tight. No way I could get it out. Gr. I hate trigger happy impact gun service station attendants...

It took me about an hour of cutting, testing, rinse, repeat to get to a lenght of hose I could install on the space and still suck fuel.

When it was ok, a small suck and fuel comes rushing out. Reinstall hose to pump, turn key, 10 seconds later engine is idling nicely...

I am happy. I still have to try and realign the fan housing (one of my friends bent it pushing the engine in when installing it and now the fan rubs) but that small change.

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

"Eduardo Kaftanski" wrote

Congrats, Eduardo!