Plunking Uni-syn atop Kadron/Solex

I just bought a swell second-hand Uni-syn from John at Aircooled (thanks, John!). In order to use it on these Kadron-Solex carburetors, I have the little matter of the air filter stud sticking up right in the way. John's article on synchronizing dual carbs mentions a work-around: using a cut-off chunk of a Pringle's tube to space the Uni-syn above the carb. Alas, in the Wonderbus, there is not sufficient room above the carb for a tube and the Uni-syn unless I cut a hole in the engine room's overhead.

Before I grab that air filter stud with my Vicegrips and try to turn it out, I'd like to know if that stud is threaded into the carb, or if it is a press-fit? Haven't been able to find a good parts diagram of the carb.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

DO NOT GRAB AND TWIST !! You will destroy the carb and drop chunks of metal into the inner workings of the carb!! Two small bolts on each side of the base of the large stud hold it to the carb.In fact there are a lot of people that replace the two bolts with two pieces of all thread and redrill two holes in the air cleaner lid. Thus replacing the bar assembly that holds the large stud which actually obstructs some air flow. (More air flow= more hp ). :) The existing large hole in the air cleaner lid can be easily plugged with a nice chromed nut and bolt assembly and two wing nuts will effectively secure the lid to the air cleaner element. Hope this helps. Might be easier to remove carbs in order to complete this simple proceedure.

"Wild" Bill and "Blondie" Linda Tucker

President and First Lady Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, FLorida

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug Resto Custom ,1776, Front Disc, T-3 Rear brakes, "Prowler Purple."

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic, "Blondies' Car"

'67 Squareback

Rare Air VW Club Website:

or

Wild Bill

Hey Mike, Check out this web page for some cool K-Dog info:

luck and don't hesitate to email or call A.J. Simms if yu haveproblems. He is the best.

"Wild" Bill and "Blondie" Linda Tucker

President and First Lady Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, FLorida

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug Resto Custom ,1776, Front Disc, T-3 Rear brakes, "Prowler Purple."

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic, "Blondies' Car"

'67 Squareback

Rare Air VW Club Website:

or

Wild Bill

Hey W-B,

Great page -- thanks!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Roger that -- no twistie. Now I know. Thanks!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Exactly what I did to my Kads. Sometimes those two screws that hold the bridge over the carb LOOK like rivets, but they are not. Plug the carb with a rag to avoid getting trash into it, file/grind off the rounded head and twist the screw out. replace them with either the long screws (recommended) or short ones and reuse the bridge. BTW, I use two Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce (Hot), empty to space the uni-synch above the little lip on the carbs. Don't know if you have enough room to do this on a bus, though.

El Paso Bob

71 1776 Baja
Reply to
The Joneses

Thanks, Bob.

I like the enchilada (hot) cans as spacers idea. But in the bus, there simply isn't enuff distance between the air cleaner stud and the roof of the engine room to squeeze a Uni-syn, no matter whether any spacers are used or not.

Engine has to come out shortly anyhoo to re-torque the heads that I cleverly undertorqued.