POR 15

I recently purchased an 82 Scrambler. I looked for a long time to find that wasn't rusted all to hell. However, it does have some rust on it. I'd like to preserve it as best as I can. I've seen this POR 15 stuff around. Does anyone have any opinions about it? Is there anywhere I should not use it? I'm considering covering the bottom of the vehicle. How much will it take? Is that a bad idea for any reason?

Thanks!

MFM

Reply to
MFM JOS

POR 15 is great for doing what you want to do. It is very durable and works as advertised. Basically just remove the loose rust with a wire wheel/brush and make sure the areas you are covering are free of grease and oil. I think a quart will cover what your doing, but you might need an extra pint depending on how much extra stuff you decide to paint while you are down there. Don't use it on any areas that will be constantly exposed to sunlight as it will tend to fade to a grayish color. Also, don't get it on your skin. It takes forever to get it off. I recommend using some type of latex or plastic gloves. Use in a well ventilated area. Also, use brushes you can just throw away when you are done. It's not worth trying to clean them.

Chris

I was just thinking... Wasn't there some sort of stuff that was supposed to convert rust to another compound? I know POR-15 is a Paint Over Rust compound, but I seem to remember some sort of Rust Converter being advertised... Maybe I'm just confused...

Reply to
TJim

You're not confused, POR-15 sells it as "Metal Ready" it de-oxidizes the rust turning it back into something resembling the original metal. I've used it as part of a floor pan restoration on an older Volvo turbo, it works quite well as a rust stop/prep for the rest of the POR-15 system. I'm sold on POR-15, it is one of the few products that meets or exceeds all the claims made for it. Dave Shannon daveshan@no spamcox.net (Spring Valley CA) '01 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Reply to
Dave Shannon

Where's the best place (ie. cheapest) to get POR-15?

Reply to
Joe

There are dealers all over the place, including people that sell from their homes even. One of our automotive stores sells it as well. The prices are pretty close to what they sell it for on their website

Chris