power pulley questions..

hey guys i got the porsche cooling shroud awhile ago and it came with a power pulley so im assuming i need to use the power pulley with this shroud. question is, it also came with a sand seal, do i need to use a sand seal with a power pulley? 2nd, the one that came with it, doesnt have grooves in the neck part that slides onto the crank whereas ive seen power pulleys that are grooved..what purpose does this serve, if any?..my thinking is grooved may be related to wether or not the sand seal is used any info would be appreciated

THANKS and happy new year

Reply to
Bradshawfan

"2nd, the one that came with it, doesnt have grooves in the neck part that slides onto the crank whereas ive seen power pulleys that are grooved..what purpose does this serve, if any?..my thinking is grooved may be related to wether or not the sand seal is used"

If the pulley has an oil return thread(i.e. the gooves you are describing) then you do not use a sand seal, you leave the rear of the crankcase open and allow the thread to do it's job pumping air into the case. If the hub portion of the pulley is smooth then you need to use the sand seal.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

thanks chris !!