preferred VW thing exhaust muffler?

well, it looks like the nice muffler on my '73 may have finally rusted through and I need to get another (getting far louder than usual back there all of a sudden). Suggestions?

Considerations:

1) would prefer something coated or stainless (although I know the latter is usually priced so high it's not worth it - why japanese cars have had stainless mufflers for the past 20 years and yet air-cooled VWs have not is one of the biggest mysteries - after all, the vws are FAR in more need!)

2) would prefer 'through the bumper' as opposed to bug muffler hanging down or monza-style, etc.

Has anyone purchased Thing mufflers from The Thing Shop in AZ, German Motor Works in CA or Things Unlimited in NY? Good, bad, otherwise? What about buying an uncoated one and then having it ceramic coated or Jet-hot, or similar?

thanks!

amigaboy

Reply to
bi670