Problem

Our type one , 1600 cc single port motor doesn't want to idle. I replaced the copper seals where the manifold meets the heads. It seems to heat up as you drive it . what could be going on here? TIA g.

g adds. MONEY , what a concept

Reply to
BananaRepublican

Could be a number of things, although I would first check for a vacuum leak. Which means first checking all the fittings from the carb to the cylinder heads. If you can get the engine to idle by working the throttle try spraying some WD where connections come together. See if that changes the idle speed. Also, check any vacuum ports on the carb.

No problems located? Then start at the air cleaner and work downwards. Air cleaner OK? How are the distributor points and is the timing set correctly? Can you get the engine to idle by slowly turning the distributor to either the right or left?

Nothing wrong so far? It might be time to pull and inspect the carb.

Reply to
luftgekuhlten

It seems to be the carb. I finally took it apart and blew out all the orifices and we placed the thick gasket at the base of the carb.....& Houston... we have an idle.

BTW, thanks for the hints.

we love our Ghia.

g adds. MONEY , what a concept

Reply to