Pull engine to fix sparkplug threads??

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 06:18:59 -0400, "VWGirl" scribbled this interesting note:

Sometimes the key to happiness lies in knowing when to admit that it is time to throw something away. Scott and I have decided that some of the cars we have collected are not worth the effort and they have been disassembled, the good bits boxed up, and the rest has gone out on the curb for the trash trucks (or scrap metal guys) to haul off. This is an effective way to stock your own supplies of spare parts and reclaim your driveway and yard at the same time!:~)

Or a pipe wrench!

-- John Willis

Reply to
John Willis

I had a similar difficulty when I installed my new tranny with my old Hurst shifter. Turns out I could not move the shift-plate quite far enough to the right to clear reverse lock-out (the long right-angle plate.) I ground the two mounting holes to extend them 1/8" to the left. Problem solved.

Reply to
J Stafford

Son, I've watched the mountains grow. Also led a hard life. As a young man I was a lumberjack in the Sahara Forest.

Reply to
John Stafford

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 14:17:40 -0500, John Stafford scribbled this interesting note:

I am far too young to understand these things, yet I do. 38 years old is too young to sometimes feel exactly this way, yet I still seem to have a youngster's sense of the absurd...or perhaps that comes with age as well???

-- John Willis

Reply to
John Willis

well i need to get the exhaust to all line up and not bend any of the body of the car... if i had a couple extra hands i could do it on my own

Reply to
VWGirl

I ment doing it _together_

Reply to
Jouko P. Kenttä

I meant all three mechanics (my father was just one of them - I didn't recall the story as it was) changing a clutch _together_.

Reply to
Jouko P. Kenttä

oh... in that case... how do you get that many people under a vw? ;-)

Reply to
VWGirl

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 06:19:42 -0400, "VWGirl" left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

Let's see. 4 bolts holding the engine in. 6 bolts holding the pressure plate on. Fuel line, accelerator cable, wires for heater boxes. A few electrical connections. With 3 people working at once I could see the fuel line, accelerator cable , wires for heater boxes and electrical connections getting disconnected taking 3 minutes if they were working *really* fast. With 3 people working I could see all 4 bolts getting disconnected in 3 minutes if they were working

*really* fast. That's 6 minutes. One minute to get the engine clear of the car enough to access the pressure plate and that's *pushing it* to the extreme. Seven minutes is already up and they haven't even started to unbolt the 6 bolts that hold the pressure plate in so that they can get to the clutch. There is just no way that even 6 mechanics could change the clutch out in 7 minutes. Any more than 3 mechanics and they'd be in each other's way more than they'd be helping.

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

Well us finns are very limber ;)

Jan

VWGirl wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I bet you are ;-)

message

Reply to
VWGirl

Sorry about your luck. They sell drugs that'll help *stiffen* you up. :o)

Dave

message

Reply to
Dave Brower