Pulled stud update

I took the pulled stud to the local VW store and then realized it had been 'upgraded' to a coarser pitch by cutting and welding a bolt to it. Probably to fix an earlier pulled problem.

So I bought a good used stud (US$.75) and two case savers (chilean made, US$1 each) and proceeded to torque all nuts to 30ft/l, in case another one was shot, before removing the head and cylinder to fix the stud.

Of course, another stud pulled out, looks repaired in a similar fashion. Problem is, this one is 4 o clock in cyl 1, and goes through the case. I have the threaders and casesavers, but I am a bit worried of debris in this one.

Any ideas?

Ps. the case savers came with instructions to enlarge the hole to 12mm with a drill and then thread with a 9/16-12 threader (which I have)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

When I did something similar my friendly old german mechanic slathered the drill and taps and whatever with grease. All the shavings stuck to the tools. I guess going slowly and being careful will help. The alternative is to split the case.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~

The tap is no problem. The drill... a manual drill?

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Shaving foam on the hind side, no joke.... Traps even the most miniscule shavings(metal debris).

J.

Reply to
BergRace

thats a good tip. hind side is the inde of the block, right? :I)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

.....after seeing Timmy's tip allready this week...don't feel you have to subject us to all the details of whether putting shaving cream on the backside helps you with your stud pulling...

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Ouch

james

Reply to
Juper Wort

system

Reply to
KWW

I will if I get shavings inside the case. But I am duct taping sheets of plastic to the case to collect the shavings and seal the openings. If all goes as planned, no shavings will get inside at all..

I am learning from travis' strange methods, and Jan's normal ones, it seems :)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

...heheheh......Jan, and normalcy in the same sentenence...hehehe =-))))

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 05:13:34 -0400, Gary Tateosian shared the following:

At least he got the travis/strange combo right. Give him some credit. :)

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

that soak into your ears are whispered, not yelled.

:wq!

Reply to
travis

hehe, that caught my eye too but I chose not to comment ;) There's a first time for everything...

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Ok. Travis and Jan's strange advice? :)

happy??

Anyway, I am very grateful for all the help.

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski