Re: Charcoal filter?

i am getting a reasonably stron smell of petrol in the cabin of my bug which

> is a 73 1303, i have heard that the breather pipe from the filler neck goes > to a charcoal filter hidden somewhere behin the dash area. could this be the > problem? or does anyone else have any suggestions? > > Many thanks

I have a 1973 VW Beetle U.S. version.

One day I bought all the necessary hoses to connect my charcoal filter. Eventually the big hose that connects to the air cleaner sagged and got partially chewed by the fan shroud cooling fan. I eventually disconnected the charcoal filter by cutting off the big hose in the engine compartment. I just got tired of having to disconnect it every time I removed the air cleaner. What helped the most in eliminating the smell of petrol or fuel in the cabin was trimming the ends of the small hose(s) and any other hoses that connect to the top of the gas/petrol tank. One of these small hoses had fallen off. Replacing the rubber fuel sender gasket or seal was a big help too. Another thing that helps is not filling the tank all the way to the top until it runs out.

Reply to
Josef

i thought the charcoal filter was behind the dash somewhere as there are no hoses that run from the tank to the engine compartment. you say you trimmed the tops off the hoses, do you mean to get a better seal?

Reply to
Paul Soames

you say you trimmed

Yes!

The carcoal filter cannister might be located somewhere else in a Vanagon. I got the evaporative emmission hose diagram from a Robert Bently VW Owners Workshop Manual for my Beetle. They make them for almost every kind of aircooled VW.

BeetleMex at

does or used to sell the charcoalcannister.

You also may find the following links useful:

Here is an aircooled VW Links Page:

Aircooled VW Tech Links:

Aircooled VW Electrical Guru

The Aircooled VW Problem solver Page
Rob and Dave's Aircooled Volkswagen Pages
I hope this helps! Joe 73vwbttl

Reply to
Josef

go to this site and then to "tech & stuff", look for "fuel vapor smell fix"

http://superbeetles>

Reply to
gregg H

thanks chris i have been told about the vapour collector under the rear wing but my bug has never had that system as it is a UK market bug. I do however have a hose coming off the filler neck which disappears somewhere up under the windscreen area i guess its just a breather but i havent been able to locate where it terminates yet. I did have the proble of fuel leaking when cornering but that has been fixed now and the smell isnt as bad but is still definately there. When I get time i will try and find where that hose goes unless somebody out there can tell me!

Many thanks

Reply to
Paul Soames