Charcoal cannister removal?

With the hoses falling off the (paper) air filter box, and I'm sure the charcoal gave out 30 years ago - I'd like to remove the cannister from the right rear wheel-well, and dump the hoses (72 SB).

Question - do I plug both holes where the hoses went? Or connect a short hose between them? Any performance issues or EPA concerns?

Thanks! jim

Reply to
Jim

The big hoses are not the problem; you can safely plug them. But.....there is a 3rd smaller hose which leads all the way to the tank venting circuit. If you plug that one, the tank won't vent to atmosphere and will starve the pump (or collapse the tank).

You can substitute an old-style vented filler cap (or modify the existing one).

Note that removal of the canister forces fuel vapors out of the tank into the atmosphere, especially noticeable on hot days.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Plug the inlet to the air cleaner, the outlet from the fan shroud. MAKE SURE that the fuel tank can still vent though. vent it somewhere out of the car, so you're not breathing the fumes. If you don't vent it, it will be crushed under the atmospheric pressure when start your engine. ~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony