Re: Favorite shift?

I like just taking off at a stoplight, now I'm no drag racin' kid, hell I'm 40, but when its green you need to GO! I can be in 2nd at high revs before the moron next to me or behind me has got his automatic Pontiac or manual Honda into gear. I drive a big truck in real life, lot of town driving, I see idiots all the time can't seem to find first gear till the light has been green for a couple seconds.(an eternity, time it sometime) One time, only once I swear, I was behind these two hippies in a Volvo, save the whales bumper sticker, the whole shebang, they are numerous here in ORE, anyway I was behind them in my big truck and they were digging for something between the seats, and the light turned green and I waited for a coupla beats then BBLLAASSTT!!!with the air horn and they jumped, hit the shifter, popped the clutch, killed the car and it was the funniest damn thing ive ever seen!!!

Reply to
Cletus

I can do 30 in 1st, 55 in second, and 80 in third, so they are all good, except 4th because it's all over. :(

Reply to
J Stafford

PS. My dogn's name is Joker. No shift.

Reply to
J Stafford

Second to third, definitely - but mine is a 5 speed. I can still barely get a chirp outta the 912 going from 2-3 with the "stump puller" cam and larger jets.

knt

PS - My shifter was a dog so I yanked the engine end rebuilt it :)

Rob J wrote:

Reply to
knt

my second favorite is Lo to 1, at about 50 mph. My favorite is 2 to 1, using my patent pending double 'clutch' method, at about 55 mph, in the mountains. everybody catch that? it's an autostick.

Reply to
Masqqqqqqq

Ouch! That little clutch is going to go up in smoke Real Soon Now.

Reply to
J Stafford

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 07:20:29 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@stafford.net (J Stafford) ran around screaming and yelling:

actually the autostick clutch(180mm i *think*) is quite tough....i abused the crap out of my autostick and it never let me down...(unless you count the crappy aftermarket servo boot that kept blowing out till i replaced with a real vw one..) J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Eventually I'm sure it will. I've driven the car like this for 4 years now, and over 45,000 miles. I did not replace the clutch during the restoration.

Reply to
Masqqqqqqq

Doncha know how to double-clutch?

Reply to
J Stafford

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 15:37:07 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@stafford.net (J Stafford) left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

C'mon, now. For everyday driving nobody needs to know how to do that. I can heel-and-toe in reverse. Now what!?!? :-)

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

With my Bug, it's "double-crunching." Never got the hang of it.

Favorite shift: big wind-up in 1st and feeling the hop after finding

2nd. Kinda gets anemic after third.
Reply to
BuZzY

If a person drives like a wus, yer right.

Reply to
J Stafford

It's only double-clutching if you take your foot off the clutch while it's in neutral, then put it back on before the final change. Otherwise, you're just rev matching. Double clutching is really useful if you have a totally dead synchro somewhere in the box, otherwise VW boxes usually don't show any benefit from it. Matching revs is always a good thing to do. Now, if you happen to break a clutch cable sometime, being able to match revs becomes really useful....

Kim Howe

Reply to
Kim Howe

I have a scat shifter, and its a really short throw, andi can shift REALLY fast, so i don't see how i could double clutch (as in let out clutch, then let back in) it would make me shift slower. As for matching revs, i figure thats only on the downshifts. Basically don't take your foot off the gas when putting in the clutch to downshift... ~peace~Justin

Nxqzablesk8er

Just a little tid bit I learned at my defensive driving class after a few speeding tickets. Those who jump off the line at the first sight of green are more likely to get hit by those that like to drift through red lights. (*points to the red light camera discussion*) That bit of knowledge has saved me from an accident Im not saying you can't still jump off the line, I still do but now instead of watching the other directions yellow light, I watch the yellow light and the trafic that might just be in that much of a hurry to get through the light. As for my favorite shift, Clutchless first to second. Not that I do it much just knowing I can if I need to.

-Kirk

Reply to
Krik

Wait, did i miss a part? Who was talking about jumping off the line?? I always wait to make sure that the car coming towards the intersection is slowing. ~Peace~Justin

Nxqzablesk8er

I like the downshifts too... Downshifting to 1st while approaching a slippery U-turn at about 20 - 30km/h with the clutch pressed, then pop the clutch while you have just started to turn, then after 90-120 degrees full throttle in 1st - quick shift to 2nd with full throttle and you get one of the most impressive things you can do with a bug.

Bill, '67 bug.

~peace~Justin

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Without anti-sway bars on a high-crown road that equates to a roll-over. Very impressive, I must say! :)

Reply to
J Stafford

Many moons ago I had a '71 Super Beetle with little, if any, synchromesh left on any gear. I had no choice but to double-clutch downshifts, and got very good at exactly the pause I needed on upshifts.

Second gear was particularly bad. I suspect previous owners had gotten in the habit of redlining the engine in first then jamming it in to second to try to keep up with traffic.

My car now is one of those newer VWs with water in it. It too is not in its first flush of youth and benefits from driving it like a crashbox - smoother shifts, and the A2 shift linkage will not be hurried anyway. Shifting down to 1st when the car is moving is impossible unless I double-clutch.

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..." ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

Reply to
Laura Halliday

It usually is more difficult than getting other gears in. I've learned that usually it is easier to get it in if you first put the 2nd gear in and then push it straight without stopping to 1st from there. If that does not work, it has to be double clutched.

Double clutching is nothing more than rev matching. The idea is basically to rev match the clutch side of the transmission with the gear and rotation in the differential side. Upshifting does not need that, because a small wait with the gear lever usually helps the clutch side to slow down.

Reply to
Olli Lammi