Re: Ignition Coil 'burnt out'

I had the ignition on for a few hours without the engine running. Noticed a

> smell of something burning. My coil went, leaked oil. Is it normal to burn > out when the ignition is left on like I did?

Yep. It's a good idea to disconnect it if you leave the ignition on like that.

Reply to
J Stafford

Not real common, but not uncommon either. It happens.

running. Noticed a

it normal to burn

Busahaulic

Yes, it's normal and therefore should be avoided. If the engine stops in a position where the points in th edistributor are closed (most of the time they are), the coil is getting charged continuously and will overheat and eventually blow.

Never listen to your car radio with teh ignition power turned on, unless the engine is running... used to be a common problem when people wired their radio to work from a lead that was only hot when the ignition was on.. until car manufacturers began introducing ignition locks with "radio" position.

Jan

Reply to
Jan