Re: New whining sound from fan.

> I just noticed today a new kind of whining sound from the fan on my > 1600DP. It isn't a scraping sound like the fan against the shroud. > It increases with RPM's. I have a thought that it might be the plates > that bolt to the back of the alternator, maybe they somehow loosened > so those pieces are vibrating against each other creating this sound. > I did convert it to an alternator a couple months ago but this sound > just started. Does my theory sound correct? Anyone else ever > experience this? Either way, I am going to take it back apart but > just wanted to know if anyone had any other ideas what it could be. > Thanks.

Whine sounds more like a bearing noise.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I sometimes have heard whining noise from the passenger seat. That also sometimes increases with RPM's. Nothing to do with the generator / alternator though.

HTH ;)

Is the fan belt too tight (killing the bearings) or loose (slipping)?

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Or frayed.

Randy

RSMEINER

Are you sure it's not FWEEM? Maybe your peashooters are finally broken in.

Reply to
John Stafford

I still think it's the fan rubbing the shroud, on either side. Push/pull teh top of the shroud and see if the sound changes.

Also take a peek under your distributor cap, if the shaft is dry it will make a hard-to-locate high pitched whining sound as the dry metal touches the dry slider thingee of the points.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Yes. It must be the passenger seat muffler bearing lacking lubrication.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

I agree?

Did you overtighten the fan belt?

It should deflect at least 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch when you press firmly on it with your thumb.

Maybe they sent you a defective alternator. It may not be too late to send it back for a refund or a different alternator.

Reply to
Josef