Re: Replacing speedo cable

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 08:16:09 -0400, Speedy Jim left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

Mike Arentz wrote: >> >> Can someone out there please help me. Everything I have read says that >> replacing the speedo cable should be an easy job, but I ended up spending 2 >> hours and ended up with bleeding knuckles trying to get the stupid hub cover >> off (part that the end of the cable sticks out of). It's stuck fast, I've >> sprayed it over and over with WD40, tryed to tap it off with a hammer and a >> screwdriver, then ended up going mental and beating the living shit out of >> it with the hammer in revenge for the time wasted trying to get this thing >> off so I can do the 10 minute speddo cable job. >> >> Can anyone plllleeeeeaaaassseee help me, otherwise the car is disowned by >> me. >> >> Cheers, >> >> Mike > >There is a special tool (of course!) for this, but in a pinch >I've found that an ordinary claw hammer works.

I've found that in a pinch an ordinary claw hammer and an attitude can take the place of a lot of tools. ;-)

Put the tips of the >claw under the slight ridge on the bearing cover (hub). > >Did you remove the "C" clip which holds the cable end? > > Speedy Jim >

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.The statements above reflect my own opinions and experiences and nothing more.I don't pretend to be a professional mechanic, politician, philosopher,attorney, or chiropractor.Take any advice in this post at your own risk, and with a grain of salt."Milk is for babies. Beer is for men." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Reply to
travis

HEAT IT !!!

"Mike Arentz" schreef in bericht news:b2i1b.51100$ snipped-for-privacy@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

Reply to
Black Baja

Shouldn't be neccessary. Wasn't for me when I did it last anyways. Though I suppose the mitigating factor is how rusted on the cap is, and how much abuse you have to dispense to do the job.

Anger and a jacked up car don't mix very well anyways, I prefer to have all four tires touching pavement so there's no risk of twisting off the jacks.

Reply to
Seth Graham

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 00:40:16 +0300, "Olli Lammi" left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

You're tellin' me. ;-)

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.The statements above reflect my own opinions and experiences and nothing more.I don't pretend to be a professional mechanic, politician, philosopher,attorney, or chiropractor.Take any advice in this post at your own risk, and with a grain of salt."Milk is for babies. Beer is for men." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Reply to
travis

Thanks everyone, the claw hammer worked a beauty, knocked it over in 10 minutes

Reply to
Mike Arentz

The claw hammer method always worked well for me, on about 7 different cars.

-=weasel=-

Reply to
Weasel

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 18:41:45 -0600, "Weasel" ran around screaming and yelling:

the curved jaw of a "cresent" type wrench works well also...the 10 or

12 inch model...put the curved part against the drum and push...makes the head of the wrench push basically straight away from the drum...never had a problem getting the cap off....although i have used a claw hammer also(since i'm a carpenter..LOL) J
Reply to
Joey Tribiani