Speedy Jim

Quick question. On 68 Westy. It seems to have a "quick shift" spacer above floor. When I take it out I cannot move the shift lever very much or depress it. Help, I cannot find diagrams of type 2 lever installations in any of my books. The spacer is like the one pictured in jc whitney. Thanks Dennis

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

I am not Speedy, but did you also remove the ball from the shifter? It installs by sliding down the shaft and would be under the shifter boot.

Reply to
TerryB

No, I did not see any ball but I will look again. It is on the shaft itself?

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

"Dunno"

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

It should be on the part of the shifter you hold to change the gears. The one on my bug, you slide down the stick after removing the shifter knob. Now would be a good time for a pic that I don't have. The quick shift plate does not raise the height of the stick, it just raises the pivot point for the stick. The ball hits the plate and reduces the travel for the shift pattern.

Above is a pic of all the parts in a shift kit, the small half round piece mounts on the shifter and is what aids with the smaller shifter movement as it now hits the plate that you mount on the shifter hole. You have removed this plate already and should still have the other piece still on the shift handle.

Hope this helps......

Reply to
TerryB

YES, I was lazy and top posted, so there I admit it, I am a top poster!!!! I will get myself checked into rehab................argh!!!

Getting to be an old dog and don't want to learn a new trick. LOL

Reply to
TerryB

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:54:44 -0400, Speedy Jim ran around screaming and yelling:

QUICK!!! somebody check those thermometers in hell....hehe.... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Yep, I found the little "bugger". Thanks a lot. Dennis

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Did that fix the problem?

Reply to
TerryB

No, it did not fix the problem, it helped me rule out one thing. Dennis

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik