Re: What's it worth?

I'm looking at a beautiful '65 Bug that's had a complete pan off

> restoration, 1776 with dual kadrons, 041 heads, 3000 miles, 1.5 Qtr sump, > 4062 bugpack cam, kymco super header, dynomax turbo muffler, engine chrome > accessories, new interior etc... The asking price is around $7500. What is > it worth?

Depends a bit on where it is. In this part of the Upper Midwest it would sell pretty easily at $7,500. Very clean pre-70 Bugs are generally scarce here, and customs are more rare. Another way to look at it is what it would it would cost to build that Bug yourself from a mediocre stocker - certainly more than he's asking for it. But the critical thing is the engine: how well built is it, really? With luck it will have at least

10,000 miles on it so you can check compression and performance fairly reliably. If it is a 'brand new' engine, be suspicious. (The chrome tin concerns me a little.)
Reply to
J Stafford

Thanks guys.... I appreciate the feed back. I'll let you know what happens if we pursue it.

Reply to
Ken

Seems downright unamerican, don't it?

Reply to
J Stafford

Crome is cool ...but. Chrome, I am told, does not transfer heat as well as the flat finish that VW used originally. Seems to make sence considering the heat has to go though the original steel then transfer though the chrome plating. This came from an old VW mech. friend.

my .02 cents kp

Reply to
kp

Here in UK, most of the chrome kits dont cool as well. The cowling does NOT have all the original fins inside, so you may get away with it on a stock motor, but NOT on a tuned one.

Neil

Reply to
Neil