67beetle sold at estate auction

I just got back from an estate auction that had a 67 beetle. Its condition was fair for this area, been sitting in a barn for tha last

13 yrs. The battery tray area was gone but the rest of the drivers floor pan looked very nice the drivers side looked as good as when it rolled out of the factory. The luggage tray was gone along with the already replaced tire well. The car must have been nosed when it was near new, The nose was replaced from the head light wire holes forward. The engine was locked solid. There was also rust thru on the dash just under the ignition. the passanger rear quarter looked to have a good amout of bondo repair. the rear pumper was original and in fair shape the front was aftermarket and very rusted. The drivers door had 2 small rust holes in the center and more rust at the bottom. there is also oing to have to be a lost title filed.

I was looking to spend at most $100 for a parts car so you can imagine my suprise when it sold for $1000.

Yes I handed the person that bought it my business card. looks like I will be able to take a vacation off the repairs form it...lol

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys

I am assuming it was a hardtop?

Out here in Ohio I see bugs in terrible shape with all sorts of prices on them. Convertibles are even more ridiculous. It's not uncommon to see a painted over rust-bucket at the curb for $6,000. The same beast on either coast would sell for $600.

When I was 19 or so I spotted and old "Sun Bug" on a local car lot so I stopped in to see what they wanted. $3,000 for a floorless bug with questionable engine parts. Nuts.

Just before I found my 68' for $650 (a bit of floor panel rot, but otherwise a gem!) I was looking to fly out to a hot dry climate and drive back a bug. One, to avoid the obvious rusty bugs that you find in the midwest, and two to get a better deal!!

-Steve Ballantyne

Reply to
steve.ballantyne

That used to be the case but old air is becoming harder to find even on the coasts as well.

When I was looking for my vert in L.A. back in '96, back then most convertibles averaged around $3800 and you might expect to find cattails growing in the back seat, that's how swampy and musty some of them were.

The '67 I eventually found was pristine looking and the owner was asking $12,500 for it, a 67 convertible was always my dream bug, but I didn't have that much cash. For some strange reason and to my delight, she accepted my offer of $5600, which turned out to be not so strange...

Mechanically it was another story, the motor blew on the way home and when the mechanic who put in a re-built 1500SP called me after he removed the old motor, he was livid. The case was cracked and had been sealed up with some JB Weld; it was only a matter of time, but fortunately a re-built was only $795 + $300 labor back then. I've busted a connecting rod so am putting in a fresh engine right now and its 3X the price. Ah well, if I live long enough and put enough care and detail into it, hopefully someday it will be worth what Randy Gate's bug is.

ok. Not likely.

But have you seen this?:

griff