Re: What Sapphire Radio standard 72 ??

> I am trying to find out what sapphire radio went in my manufactured 2/72 > standard beetle. Please respond if anyone knows. The car is totally stock > and the final item is the radio. > > Thanks, > Bruce

You can find the model listings here:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Hiya Bruce,

The model/year listings which Speedy Jim referred to can be a little confusing without this piece of information...............

There is no "absolute" answer to your question. You see, radios, with some extreme exceptions, were never installed at the factory. Certainly, there were no radios installed at Emden, where your car was made. Emden had been set aside for the production of Bugs intended for the North American market. So, no factory installed radios to the North American market.

Instead, radios were installed by dealers. Typically the dealers offered purchasers a variety of radios for their cars. Sapphires, Blaupunkts, and even a few knock-offs from other manufacturers. Complicating this scenario is the sales curve. The dealer may well have had radios left over from the previous model year to install.

So..... take a look at the listings. But know that you have to take in the information with a grain of salt.

Reply to
Bookwus1

Just an FYI:

My '73 SB has a Sapphire XVIII manufactured by Motorola. The tag on the car says it was manufactured 12/72. I *think* this is the original radio.

This may help you narrow it down a little (?).

FWIW, Dan

Reply to
Dan Smith

"Bruce Katz" wrote

Another FYI for you ...

I bought a '72 parts car a while back, build date of 02/72 and it had a Sapphire XV radio in it. I have no idea if it was the original radio.

hth

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H.

you can look at the

there are a lotabout it. Leif from denmark"Scott H." skrev i en meddelelsenews:YHmTa.280169$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com...> "Bruce Katz" wrote> > I am trying to find out what sapphire radio went in my manufactured 2/72> > standard beetle. Please respond if anyone knows. The car is totallystock

Reply to
leif mikkelsen

Is this the same leif mikkelsen who wrote "Bad day before D-day"?

Reply to
Cletus