Re: carburetor problems ..urgent help plzzzz

> hi i need help i have a vw1600 and am having trouble with the butterfly i > think its missing a spring and car wont idle unlesss i keep my hand over > carbi does any1 have and pictures of how the carbi works andpics from top > ,side and angle > pics of the vw1600 carbi please im not sure if there a spring missing from > the butterfly or some1 has moved it ..hope some1 can help ...regards > steven

You need to buy a copy of the Bentley Official Manual for '70 thru '79. Complete carb breakdown and explanations.

The "butterfly" is the choke (or strangler). After the engine is warmed up, the choke opens (vertical).

There is a "spring" coiled up inside the ceramic cover on the right side. It's actually a bimetal.

If you have to cover the carb even after warmup, more than likely there is a vacuum leak somewhere.

Go here:

on Item #16

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim