Re: Why do all the ricers love the Honda Civic?

I am by no means an expert in this, but I have seen cylinders and pistons being used. (much, much larger, and high quality... )

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Of course, since the spoiler serves no function except as dorkage.

Reply to
TCS

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:59:33 GMT, Vince McGowan ran around screaming and yelling:

Vince if i didn't know any better i would think you are being arguementative....Our beloved vw's didn't come from the factory with all the goodies we have at our fingertips today...the aftermarket companies are well known for "adaptin" parts from other makes and even other markets for our use...chevy rods did not come factory in our cars, but are quite often found in them these days...as to which parts can be used from an air cooled aircraft, not sure of specifics, but send me some parts and i will test fit them Bob Hoover(guru in the vw world) modifies toyota distributors to use in vw's....many many people in the vw "industry" use parts that were NEVER intended to be under out decklid.... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Utter rubbish! What race cars have frames?... oh you mean the GrandAm series? Calling those race-cars is a bit of a stretch.:-[] Where the hell do you think monocoque originated?... see Chapman et.al. Modern racing cars have a carbon fiber tub which is basically a monocoque, with carbon fibre aero elements fastened (bolted, Unbrako fastener or glued) to it and cosmetic+aero body bits fastened on. Your speed for onset of aero effects is also way too high - see WRC rally cars. IOW, your knowledge of aerodynamics is err, limited.

Rgds, George Macdonald

George Macdonald

What an annoying-as-hell thread. Jesus Christ, people. Who gives a shit why so many people like to put a coffee can exhaust tip on their farking honda? There are LOTS of stupid-ass people in the world. No need to question everything they do or you'll waste way too much time. I'm glad I could clear that up for those of you who are OBVIOUSLY too damn stupid to realize that on your own. For anyone who wants to flame me over this post I only have this acronym to throw in your dumbass direction: FOAD.

Reply to
Shaggie

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 20:13:53 -0400, Shaggie scribbled this interesting note:

Kinda' liberal with your use of gasoline there ain'tcha Shag??? !:~)

John Willis

...............I don't know John. I thought that this was one of the more lucid moments in Travis' on again-off again history here at RAMVA. I can't imagine ever wanting a tricked out CRX myself. But I don't see the point in looking down on those who do like them. Everyone needs to find their own Nirvana whichever way they can. At least they aren't going around chopping up vintage ACVWs with a sawzall..............lol

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Glad you know better - I've owned VW's & Porsches and had friends who were heavily into hot rodding (but not air cooled engines) and hadn't heard of anyone using diesel or aircreft parts in an auto engine. As I said, learn something new every day.

Thus my bewilderment.

Reply to
Vince McGowan

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 03:23:01 GMT, Vince McGowan ran around screaming and yelling:

well Vince its not so much that we use those diesel or aircraft parts specifically, just that alot of parts are borrowed and adapted from other sources....been that way for years.... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I'm not a liberal by any stretch of the imagination. ;-)

Reply to
Shaggie

Reply to
ilambert

Reply to
ilambert

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:24:57 -0400, "ilambert" ran around screaming and yelling:

mine didn't...it had a uni-body car that had a rollcage added, and a couple stiffeners on the underside...but no "frame"... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Christ you can't even get your thoughts straight so have to brain-fart twice - a 2nd time to your own post and you don;t even quote it. It's not only about downforce sonny - it's aerodynamic balance which is quite a subtle effect - substantial doesn't matter when you have "enough". The "sideways" is yaw in aero terms and the aero-balance of the car in that attitude is extremely important at well under 100mph.

BTW I do not have a emm, Subie and yes, most wings *are* reinforced plastic resin, even racing cars.

You're the one who brought up a difference between "mono" and "frame" - apparently you don't understand the difference - better move along before you get any deeper in the caca.

Rgds, George Macdonald

George Macdonald

When there's a will, there's a way. I can't see why the same tricks could not be used in other cars as well. Granted, when the engine block and cylinders are all one piece casting, it's hard to get more displacement from it. Not always room for a stroker crank anyway. So... utilize an engine block from another car. Or do what was done in the aircooled VW scene: Design a whole new case and start manufacturing them. From less than 1000cc's up beyond 3 liters. Where the puny little sewing machine was never intended to go. Double the rpm, and multiply original power output by factors that have two digits.

This conversation strongly brings one sad fact to surface, in case you didn't notice it before from what I wrote.

I fear the day when "people" don't do this anymore. The new generations (hey, I'm only 32 myself) are not willing to experiment and think out of the box. Now everyone buys their parts based on magazine ads, often from the same sources, ending up with roughly identical engines every time. We are facing a threat here: what will happen if there are no more adventurous, technically gifted people out there who are willing to try out new things, mix and match parts that don't naturally go together? People who get crazy ideas in the evening when they have gone to bed for the night, and they groggily get up one last time to scribble some notes on paper, or sketch a drawing in a notebook or a napkin, only *then* calling it a day, scratching their balls, kissing their wives goodnight and closing their eyes for the night? (I don't claim to be a great thinker or innovator, but I keep a notebook on my nightstand for this purpose). (And I do scratch my balls. It's a guy thing. You know. :P )

We, the hobby, need these people. Not blind, lazy, comfort-seeking kids who were taught that everything can be bought from a store, ready made by someone else.

Same with enthusiasts of ANY car make or model. Same with all other hobbies, and product development in all areas of life.

We are getting lazy. Because the easy solution can be mail ordered today. Someone else had that great idea, and had the energy, time, and will to produce first test versions, live through the pains of failures because they KNEW they were on to something. They kept on pushing through, disappointment after disappointment, friends and family calling them crazy. (Ok, so some of us get that for so many other reasons ;)

Go out for a walk. Go to a car show or an event of some such. Look at the people there. Play a game in your mind, pick 20 people at random, and put them on "mechanic survivor". A lonely garage in the middle of a desert, and a leatherman tool. Some rusty old car parts in an abandoned shed. No comforts. Limited supply of beer. See who drives home in a

3-wheeled V-3 hotrod that runs on cactus juice, and who starts looking for a wall outlet so they could charge their mobile phones so they could call a cab to take them home. :)

I'm sometimes worried. The whole world might get used to the easy solutions. We'd get stuck with no innovation. No innovations in an area such as ours here, could possibly lead to it's demise in the long run.

Thank God we have people who still THINK. And EXPERIMENT. (Oh I could list a few reasonably new innovations in the VW hobby to keep the crowd entertained, like Super Squish pistons, nickasils, Magnasquirt, etc.... but I'll pass :) )

Oops, I guess I got a little carried away. Sorry. You may contact my lawyer to discuss compensation for my wasting your time :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Nah. ;)

Reply to
Vince McGowan
8< snip >8

That was supposed to read MegaSquirt :) Shouldn't write newsgroup messages in the middle of the night...

Jan

Reply to
Jan

And I should add that I don't mean to belittle or look down on people, "kiddies" if you will, who choose to go the easy route and buy everything ready made, and clone engines from others. It's ok. They bring the volume to the business, which creates revenue, profit even, which in turn makes further product development possible. For those (manufacturers) who care to push the envelope and get creative. The "rest" of us (consumers, "kiddies" et al) just enjoy the low prices brought forth by high demand of "standard" go-fast goodies.

:D

Ok ok, I'll shut up now.

Jan

Reply to