Rebuilding generator

Hello,

I found that my 12 volt generator had a wierd vibration. So I started to investigate and reaching behind to the fan, I could wiggle it a bit side to side. Bad bearing. Last night, I pulled the generator and dissassembled it. Yes, the bearing was bad so I replace both the front and rear, but my question is about the cast housing piece on the fan side. It's been slightly augered out by the bad bearing. I can move the new bearing around inside. I was thinking of making a steel shim to insert in their to take up the space and hold the bearing tight. Is that a bad idea?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
waymirechris

oooooooooooooooo I'm big on shims! LOL

The purists will howl, but I think your idea is very cost-effective.

Try to shim all-around to keep the shaft centered, and then epoxy the thing.

Speedy Jim

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!" Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

That might work, but if the repair you do is not absolutely perfect, the generator will not last very long.

Have you looked on Ebay or the Vortex air-cooled forum for a used replacement generator? That might be a better solution. I've seen new ones advertised online for about $140, remanufactured for about $100. Then there is the local scrap yard.

Good luck.

Reply to
Papa

Hello Chris..... i have had good success with a product from "Loctite" that is made for this purpose...they have about five different "bearing and sleeve" retaining compounds(liquids)...from those for new part with press fit to those with a "worn fit". they have the tollerances listed on the packaging and i bought a couple different ones(all green liquid) at a local advance autoparts....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

or for about that price you could get a new alternator, do a simple wire change and swap out the genny stand for an alternator stand, and get rid of the external genny volt regulator and be trouble free... which will give ya some more "bug juice in that wiring harness"

just my .02

vwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvw dragenwagen

1966 Type I
"Old VW"s don't leak oil, they mark their territory."vwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvw

Reply to
dragenwagen

I have more than a few generators that suffer electrical problems. I wonder how they can be fixed. I remember that they got "cooked" er overheated. If you want you can have one. the casting is fine. Humboldt cty, CA. .. snipped-for-privacy@humboldt1.com

Reply to
sluggo

Or post on the news group and see if somebody has a bad one that they would take the plate from and send it to you... especially if you would reemburse them for postage. It is sometimes hard to get a bad generator working again, so some folks may have a number of scrap ones sitting around. I used to, but not anymore

Reply to
KWW