replace fuse box

on my 70 bug ... i am replacing the harness (have a 'stock' replacement harness in a box ready to go in) ... while i am doing this i am considering replacing the old fuse box with one that takes moden blade style fuses ... are there any companies that make one for just this? or am i to use just a generic fuse box with the same number of circuits as the old one ... ?

mostly going to be cleaning up the wiring and how it is ran and such ... for a nicer apperance and to make it easier to trace down problems with this car .. (the current harness is a hack and a half ... red connected to black then to orange .. etc etc... decided it will be easier to just replace it ... then try to sort through all of it and repair the bad sections ... )

Reply to
Flea

Not aware of any replacement units being made.

What about taking the old unit out and try to resurrect it? If not terminals are broken you could get away with using citric acid on all the brass/copper terminals. Or low pressure glass beeding. Would take some time and effort though..

For connectivity's sake I think I would try and source a blade style replacement unit.

For citric acid you can use the yellow bottles people squirt(the content of) into their tea, yes it really does work! And it should not harm the plastic/Bakelite(pending on year).

J.

Reply to
Berg

not sure what you are trying to do.

Are you trying to replace the original fuse box with one that takes the blade fuses? With the exact same fit and # of fuses? Or something different? IIRC The older Porsche 911/912 had multiple fuse boxes, two in the front luggage/trunk area and one in the engine compartment.

Reply to
One out of many Daves

Whoa! Bookmarked link.

Those look like some quality fuse blocks. The rest of the site is worth a look as well.

Isn't it incredible that, 70 years after inception, so many vendors are providing aftermarket and repro items?

Long live the Beetle!!

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

yes wanting to replace it with something that takes blade fuses ... doesn't have to be the same exact fit... just near to it ... doesn't bother me if the fuses are changeable under the hood instead of under the dash ... just wanting to go on over to a fuse that is easier to locate since i will be redoing the whole harness anyways ... it would need to have the same amount of circuits .. and wouldn't hurt to have one or two more extra ...

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Flea

checkout watson street works

cary complete kit $350 or you can get just the fuse block from painless, not cheap either but you have a few options there
plus flasher relay is integrated into the block.

Ant> yes wanting to replace it with something that takes blade fuses ...

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
anton

there

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Flea

Hi Flea

Reading this, I just thought I would suggest carrying a full set of emergency repairs with you.

Full set of bulbs - fuses - connecters - some wire - elec tape .... Thats before we get to things like, coil - fuel pump and filter - plugs and leads - points and condenser .... Spare cables - clutch and accelerator..

And the minimum tools for you to replace them.

You can make a 'get you going' kit for each car you have, for very little money, very little space, and grerat piece of mind :-)

Depending on how well you know the car - maybe a shop manual too!

Rich

Reply to
tricky