High RPM's with 33's and AMC V8

Hey Everyone, Ever since I did my CJ8 transmission project, I've had very high RPM's. I put in a AMC 360 with a 727 tranny and CJ Dana 300 t-case. It's a reman transmission, stock replacement for a J Truck / Wagoneer / Cherokee. The engine is from the same heritage vehicle, a used engine. I put new gaskets and Edelbrock intake with a Holley 4 bbl. The axle is a stock AMC 20 with one-piece axles and 2.73 gears and 33" tires. Yes, 2.73's. Things work great, except I'm running very high RPM's.

60 mph (actually 55 on the speedo) is running at 3000. 70mph (65 on speedo) is 3200-ish, and is the "smooth" spot on the whole combination. You can imagine what this is doing to my gas mileage, and that keeps me from driving it. A round-trip to/from work is 24 miles. And a 1/4 tank of gas. I would like to keep this setup, but if the rpm's can't go down I have no choice but to start over again. Of course a torque converter will only affect the low revs, not the whole range.

Ideas? Advice?

Thanks, Don W

Reply to
QuickTruck

Um, have you considered the fact that you have to make sure the ratio inside your axle has to be a good match for your tranny? It sounds to me like your axle ratio is just way too low for the transmission's final drive ratio. Like possibly the axles have a 4.56 but 3.73 would be better, though that is just an example since you didn't say what your current axle ratio. Whatever it is, the fix is to install a higher ratio set of ring & pinion gears inside your axles.

Jerry

QuickTruck wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

If you are using the tach from a 6, it will be reading about 1/4 high on the rpm......

Other than that, your torque converter must be shot and slipping like mad to rev that high with 2.73's....

Are you sure about the 2.73 ratio?

Mike

QuickTruck wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hey Guys, I just talked to a friend that's been working in a tranny shop for 10 years. He said the torque converter will indeed only affect the low-end speed. He suggested slipping as well, but it's been this way for over 1000 miles, and it wouldn't last that long if it were slipping. The fluid is still full and cherry red. I hadn't thought about the tach, i guess it's time to get one from Collins Brothers to read 4,6 or V8. Once that happens i'll worry more about it. I need to replace axle seals this weekend, i will check the gear ratio for the third time. I counted teeth before, I wasn't relying on the axle code.

Thanks, Don W

Reply to
QuickTruck