Shorted out generator field (DF)?

I don't know the circuitry inside the regulator, but if the D+ cable connector broke off at the Generator's terminal and, instead of connecting to the generator's D+ terminal, grounded to the chassis of the generator (to the screw between the D+ and the DF), would that be the same as grounding DF to the chassis and thus burn out the field windings? I smelled burning insulation before I stopped, and the light only went out (engine off) when I pulled the broken end of the D+ cable off from touching the screw.

Man, I believe that I now have 1 good armature and 3 dead field windings. Now I have to drive the Civic.

Reply to
KWW

By the way... hooked up the gen (D+ to +) (DF to D- to -) to battery and it did rotate fairly fast. It went clockwise. After doing this... to be sure it was polarized, I tried running the bug again and the light was on bright at idle and dimmed/flickered slightly at high rpm. It never went off, however.

This was with the new regulator.

Reply to
KWW

Measure the Gen output voltage with DF grounded (D+ disconnected). It's covered in: "How do I test my generator?" on my web site. That will tell you whether the Gen is still good. If it is, replace the regulator.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

................uh............I must be not getting enough coffee. Excuse me for not remembering this thread when I posted about generator testing in the Murphy must be in love thread earlier.

Reply to
Tim Rogers