bench test a generator

I have a used generator in the shed , Is there a way to "test" it before going to all the trouble of installing it in the bus. it's from a '71 bus;

g adds. MONEY , what a concept

Reply to
BananaRepublican

See the article on my web site: "How do I test my generator?" You can use a rope around the pulley to get it to some speed.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

The easiest way to test it is to run it as a motor. Use a pair of booster cables from a battery or just run it off a charger. Connect the + lead to the D+ terminal and the - lead to both the case and the DF terminal. This should spin the generator smoothly. If you hold the generator in your hands while this is happening it should spin smoothly. If you feel it jerking once per revolution, then there is a problem with the armature that probably means that it won't generate even though it spins as a motor.

It won't spin particularly fast when you do this test.

Of course, if it doesn't spin at all, then there's something wrong with it.

Make sure you get the power leads connected with the right polarity, or you'll polarize it in the wrong direction.

-

Jim Adney