71 SB fuel line problem?

Slowly getting around to working on my '71 Super Beetle which hasn't run for about a year. Tried to fire it up this morning and it would only start (for a little while) when I poured gas directly in the carb.

Any suggestions on getting the fuel line clear?

Thanks! suprbtl

Reply to
AJ Fisher

If the fuel pump has dried out (likely), it can take a while of running to get it "primed" again. The line is probably not clogged. To check, just pull the hose off the pump inlet. Jack up the front of the car if need be to get the tank high enough to start flow.

If that's OK, I prefer to fill the carb bowl manually before starting. You can connect a small hose to the brass vent tube in the carb throat or just take the top of the carb off.

Lots of ways to skin this cat, but that's mine...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I suck on the hose from the tank until I get fuel there. Fuel pump did the rest while I was waiting for oil pressure....

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

an easy way to remember your breakfast all day :)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nothing like a sip of fresh fuel in the morning! :D

Ant

Eduardo Kaftanski wrote:

Reply to
Ant