That was easy -- sync'ing the K-dogs

Used my second-hand Uni-Syn (thanks, John @ Aircooled) + 1'' of Pringles can (cheese flavor) to synchronize the dual Kadrons on the Wonderbus. I was not mistaken -- I /had/ tweaked the linkage when I pulled the engine last time and it was too short, pulling the right carb more open than the left. All fixed up now. And, thanks again, John, for the "How To" on your website.

Per usual with me, a couple issues have come up.

  1. This linkage, part of Kadron's standard US dual-carb kit, is pretty rubbishy. Gene Berg sells theirs for something like 0 or so -- too much for me and the Wonderbus (we turned out our pockets and got a bunch of loose change and some Betty Crocker coupons but not a whole lot more). Is there anything between this stock linkage and the Berg kit price- and quality-wise?

  1. I wasn't able to perform the mixture adjust portion of the dual-carb adjustment procedure. I just don't see how a fellow can get at the mixture screw on the driver's side carburetor. It's on the front right of the carb (front means FRONT) down near the bottom, and the doghouse is smack in the way. Is there some trick to this?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Linkage, I recommend the SCAT as does AJ simms the Kdog madman.. John at Aircooled.net sells it, I think like 50$... check his site..

As for the mixture screw i hear a coin works...never tried yet..

Good luck Jeremie

1972 SB
VdubBeetle1972

Depending on what manifold and shroud are used, that screw can be a b*tch.

http://63.230.74.177/ghia/MVC-532F.JPGhttp://63.230.74.177/ghia/MVC-533F.JPG I honestly don't know how I'm going to reach that.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

A-yuh. That's pretty much what I'm dealing with. Of course, with the engine in the bus. Some kind of rubber screwdriver with a slot-seeking, self-centering blade on the end.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Is there a possibility to turn teh carb around 180 degrees?

Linkage hookup would have to be transferred to the opposite side on the shaft.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

I have gotten to that screw using a very long screwdriver sort of along and down the side of the fan shroud......................with a thin blade on the end.

Reply to
Vanagon Man

The throttle shafts would then work in opposite directions, no? At this time, pushing the linkage to the right opens both throttles, as they both require counter-clockwise to open. The linkage connects to a lever that hangs below the throttle shaft.

The reversed carb would require its throttle shaft to be pushed to the left to open if the lever is below its shaft, as a clockwise motion is needed. But if the attachment point of the linkage were /above/ the shaft, then rightward translation of the linkage would open it. Throttle stop would need to be moved, too, I reckon.

Is all this even do-able? Anyone got a Kadron/Solex carb sitting around they can pick up and study?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Careful... If you get this backwards and start it up and floor the gas pedal then you'll go back in time. ;-)

Reply to
Shaggie

How about using one of those screwdrivers that have a 90 degree (or some other number) bend right near the end. I have a few of those and they've helped to reach tight spots like that before. Good luck.

-Chip

'56 ghia, '66 beetle

Reply to
Chip Keller

Might need the imaginary long driver with a 45-degree at the end.

Maybe there's a way to "remote" the head of the mixture screw at the end of some long flexy thing.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Come to think of it .... ;-)

If you happen across some Puma manifolds, the carbs will be held farther out away from the shroud. That's a Puma on the far left.

http://63.230.74.177/misc/kadrons/MVC-009F.JPGhttp://63.230.74.177/misc/kadrons/MVC-010F.JPG BTW, I only have the one Puma manifold. But if someone out there has a second one, we should talk.

Now for the carbs. Reversing the shaft rotation would seem to be a matter of putting the arm on backwards. I will be doing this for the cable linkage. The cable, after all, much _pull_ the throttle open against the spring.

http://63.230.74.177/misc/kadrons/MVC-549F.JPGhttp://63.230.74.177/misc/kadrons/MVC-550F.JPG Mike, I like your idea of some sort of flexible knob instead of a simple screw-head. My spare Dud has this knob deal, but it isn't anything that would go around a corner.

http://63.230.74.177/misc/kadrons/MVC-552F.JPG As far as turning the whole carb 180º, that would put the bowl towards the rear (of the car) and that would get in the way of any rear-monted linkage. But it might work with my cable linkage.

http://63.230.74.177/misc/kadrons/MVC-553F.JPG The throttle shaft is longer on one end than the other. If the shaft were reversed, the long end would now be under the bowl. Don't see how that would help anything.

http://63.230.74.177/misc/kadrons/MVC-546F.JPG Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Why am I not surprised?

I can barely get the engine into and out of the Wonderbus with the existing manifolds. The "shoulders" (manifolds/carbs topside, heater boxes below) are so broad that I have to dismount one manifold and turn the engine kinda sideways to clear the welded mounts that the rear engine compartment panel bolts to.

I know that I have seen knobs that drive a flexy shaft through an outer wrap that looks like a tight-pitch spring. But I don't know where I've seen them, nor how one would mount the mixture needle thingy on the end.

Something like speedo cable or flexible drill shaft.

I figured as much. Given how my carbs are presently mounted, I can't see the bowl side, but there does seem to be a lot of protruding stuff.

But it might work with my cable linkage.

Your promised cable linkage. How's that invention coming?

Oh yeah, that doesn't look very likely.

So the idea of 180-ing the left carb does not look like it can be made to work easily.

John at Aircooled e-mailed me and suggesting using two hands to get to the mixture knob. One in front and one at the rear, reaching around with a finger on each pincering the knob. Have to try that.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Do the puma manifolds give you enough room to have your decklid springs in your ghia? I had to take mine out when i switched to kadrons... The guy that had worked on my car had a ghia with wider manifolds that let him clear the springs... he didn't know where they came from.

Reply to
Lane Jennison

Yeah. Like that. Someday soon, one of us will see something in a box-o-junk. In fact I have a box of springs out in the shop.

Maybe a spring that is just flexible to make that curve and able to transmit enough torque to turn the screw... Hmm. I'll have to go out and dig around a bit...

Resource contention. I'm the resource.

Right now I am correcting a rookie mistake I made on the new engine. As soon as that is cleared I can come back to the cable linkage. And I've actually thought of some refinements in the meantime.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

==> http://63.230.74.177/misc/kadrons/ I haven't actually tried the Puma manifold in the Ghia. I only have one (so far). But the Puma engine bay is short and wide so it should work rather nicely in a Ghia. Probably no good in a bug, though.

Reply to
Max Welton

Like a piece of suitable size rubber fuel line...

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Thanks Max, that about clears it up

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

You are wise, Obi-Jan.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

You could braze on some stiff braided cable with a knob on the end. Kinda like the throttle adjustment on old model airplane throttle adjustments. Do a search for "McCoy model motor" or something like that.You could also try asking about it in a RC model airplane group.You'd be surprised by what modelers come up with!

Reply to
David V.N.