Starting Problems

Hi. I have a 1965 Beetle (South African Edition). When I turn the key, the starter doesn't turn. Tried to short the solenoid switch. Same problem. Tried a new battery. Still no luck. So, I swopped out a known working starter from my second Beetle. Still the same problem. I now assumed that the power cable from the battery to the starter might be faulty. Replaced this - but still the starter won't turn. Any ideas on what the problem might be.

By the way, the original starter from the 65 now works just fine on the second Beetle.

Regards, Elvin

Reply to
Elvin Rambaran

Did you jumper the solenoid like this?

Did the solenoid "click"?

There is the possibility that the transmission Ground (Earthing) strap is defective. It is a braided strap at the front of the transmission. If broken, the starter has no solid path of current to the battery Neg post.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did jumper it as on the diagram. And yes, the solenoid did click. I will check the ground strap and revert.

Elvin.

Reply to
Elvin Rambaran

Did you check the grounding strap that goes from the transmission to the body? It should be up by the nose cone of the transmission by the forward mount. Sounds like it might have broken since its just braided brass and tends to fray.

Dan (71 Beetle, previous owner of 67 Ghia, 65 Beetle, 63 Baja Bug)

Reply to
dan

Yep, it was an earth problem, but it was the main earth strap that bolts to the chassis and the battery. Removed it and cleaned it up nicely - then reinstalled. Car now starts. I may have crossed a wire though - when I turn the ignition the starter turns, but the car only starts when I stop cranking the starter. Oh well, back to the drawing board. Time to find a pinout for the ignition switch.

Regards, Elvin

Reply to
Elvin Rambaran

glad to see you found the problem you were chasing Elvin....for your "new" problem its not all that uncommon with these old cars...simple one minute test....put a test light(with long leads if possible) so you can see the light, on the positive side of the coil....ground second lead....turn your ignition switch on and see if it lights(it will since the car will run now, BTW)...now watching the light turn the key to the "start" position...if the light goes out when cranking, you do not have any wires crossed you have an ignition switch that is bad....they tend to get corroded around the contacts

*inside* the switch and seem to kill power to the coil when cranking....been there several times over the years....i did manage to disassemble one switch....i don't really recommend that because they have *little* brass looking springs inside(to provide tension on the moving contact) and they can be quite the job to get back together....
Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Our problem with starting was between key and battery so a "magic start" button was installed. turn the key then press the button cranking the car. It makes the 72 feel like a hot rod ;) Good Luck...

Reply to
72yellow