Steering wheel click

Hm. While waiting at a light today I noticed that the Wonderbus's steering wheel has a bit of "click" feeling when rotated slightly from side to side from center. I also felt the click on the brake pedal. This is maybe a symptom of . . . ?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

*paranoia*

------------------- Chris Perdue

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!"

Remove "PANTS" to e-mail

Reply to
Chris Perdue

No. NO. NOOOOOOoooooooooooo . . .

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

hehe...seriously Mike....i had a friend decide he wanted to "get into" vw's....he did...it worked the hell out of me...he was by my house litterally

*every* day...."what is this noise".."why does it blah, blah"...etc.... i finally told him he needed to either turn the radio up or sell the car because it is *old* and will make noises....(especially in the shape that one was in)....

------------------- Chris Perdue

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!"

Remove "PANTS" to e-mail

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Well, yeah. Older cars will have various rattles and things that go bump in the night. The experienced VW owner will know which noises can be ignored, and which are signs of something that needs attention. I know nothing about the front end of my 71 bus. Yet. That said, I would bet good money that there are parts up there that wear out, things that needs adjusting, and parts that fail. Now in this case, the sudden appearance of a soft thumping sound, that can be felt not only on the steering wheel, but the brake pedal, too, when the van is not moving and the steering wheel rotated a few degrees from side to side, might, to the experienced owner, mean nothing. Me, I wondered whether it might be a sign that the steering stuff wants attending to. I had to ask. Thus we learn.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Reply to
ilambert

okay...start by checking to see if your balljoints have zerk fittings(fittings that let you put grease into them) and grease your balljoints....they are located at the end of the trailing arms and attatch the arms to the spindle(which in turn supportsthe brakes and wheel).....that is the *starting* point...

------------------- Chris Perdue

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!"

Remove "PANTS" to e-mail

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Say -- how'd you learn that lesson, anyway?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Bob Hoover did a good article I have somewhere on my hard drive about front ends. Time to pull it up, stare at the illustrations in Muir and Bentley's, and see what I can learn.

And the best part? This gives me a reason to buy a grease gun. Never owned one before. But deep down inside I have always suspected that /real/men have grease guns. And aren't afraid to use 'em.

- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott

71 VW Type 2 / 84 Westy: A poor but proud race. KG6RCR
Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

...............Your quest for manhood is indeed starting to bear fruit Mr Squirrely Rocket. I've had my grease gun for almost ten years now and the only thing that is more impressive to the unwashed masses of ignoramouses who never even check their own oil and can't find their spare tire under the mat in the trunk.........is WELDING!...............As you might already know, the manly welding hood & big leather gloves and the pyro-technical sparks flying around are very very impressive. My wife and kids always leave me the he!! alone when I'm wielding bolts of lightning like a modern day Zeus.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Heheh.....reasons I need to learn how to weld. How much does a decent MIG welder cost these days? I might be getting one within the next couple of years...(I know, a huge time span, but I plan ahead)

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

...........For a complete mig set-up including tools & clamps, auto-darkening helmet, 60# Argon-CO2 tank and a HTP120 welder (what I've got)........I'd guess that you'd spend between 500 & 600 dollars. The Lincolns at Lowes or Home Depot are a little less and are known to be OK as well.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

If you need much welding done at all you'll come out ahead to buy your own. It's one of those things you can use forever. If not, you'll wind up paying too much for other people do do crappy welding jobs for you. BTDTGTTS.

Reply to
Shaggie

you need to poke around it with a pencil :)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

My. God. It never occurred to me. That's it . . . it was under my nose all these years. Welding. The One True Manly Skill. Or . . . wait . . . is there a United Brotherhood of Women, Gay, and Lesbian Welders and Steamfitters?

Diesel fitter. Heh. Just remembered that hoary old joke.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

wrote:

No.2 Dixon Ticonderoga?

Lemme see . . . I think I got one in my toolbox somewhere.

Hey -- wait a minute!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Reply to