Stick Shift Problem

I drive a 626, 1993 LX. I am having problems when I try to put the car into 1st gear. It just started today. Every other gear is smooth. It isn't slipping out of gear but I have to push to move it to 1st.

Any ideas from anyone?

Reply to
Lani

I once had an idea that if I made up something like snowshoes that you could strap on your feet, and these snowshoe-like contraptions had one-way "valves" on them, like little tiny one-way doors, maybe 100 or so per "shoe" on them so that water could flow from the top of them to the bottom of them but not vice-versa, that you could practically walk on water with them. As you pushed down with each foot the shoes would sort of be "solid" since the valves would close and help to support your body. (Take a 10"X10" piece of plywood and push down on it in a swimming pool and see how hard it is to push it down into the water...) Of course your foot would sink a little beneath the surface of the water, but as you lifted that foot back up again, the water would flow through all of the one-way little door/valve thingies offering practically no resistance. As long as you kept "walking" you'd stay afloat easily. Balance would be a challenge at first, but it was a challenge at first when people tried stilts and unicycles. The marketing for these things is simple. "Jesus shoes. Now you, too, can walk on water." Imagine the applications in practical sports and for exercise programs. Football..... ON WATER!!! Why not? Oh yeah, it'll work. I've just been sitting on this idea a while and figure it's time to share it with someone so they can get rich off of it. I'll regret sharing this millionaire-making idea later, but I'm feeling generous right now. Now, where'd I put that bottle of tequilla....? Whoever cashes in on my brilliant idea, remember to toss $1,000,000 my way someday. Glad I could help!

Reply to
Shaggie

"Shaggie" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

...Or... check...;

groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&group=rec.auto.misc

Maybe they can help you, here we talk aircooled VW. (like it's a language) ;-)

Reply to
bug '59

LOL Maybe a few years ago that was true but any more it seems more and more this is turning into a tabloid news group.

I just have a person bring me a 67 ghia that was having shifting problems, He is planning on driving the ghia back to Arizona when I finish fixing it.

It would shift fine right up to cruising speed and drive down the highway fine. Then after slowing down it would not down shift.

under first inspection I noticed the shift coupler was original and very worn along with the front tranny mount.( some other shop replaced the 2 rear mounts only???)

Thinking that this might be the problem I removed the engine, I found that the pilot shaft moves in and out about 2 cm. So yes now its time to do a tranny change.

Now I wish there was a guarantee way to check a used tranny before installing it?

Mario Vintage Werks Restoration

Reply to
Kafertoys