Stiff brake problem

I just got my Kyote on the road last week, and the brake pedals were fine the first couple of days but the other day they started getting stiffer and stiffer to the point that the brake lights are always on, the pedal is all the way up and barely moves, and the brakes are dragging. (Obviously I'm not driving it anymore)

I jacked up the car and tested all 4 tires by spinning them, and all are dragging equally. The buggy has a 1964 brakes, but a newer style dual master cylinder. All the wheel cylinders were replaced when it went in for it's safety check last wheel and all the brake lines and flex lines are brand new as well.

So, do I have to re-adjust all the brakes because of the new wheel cylinders, or should I be looking at the master cylinder. I'm going to tackle it this weekend and was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction.

--

1968 Mantaray II Kyote
68kyote

,....first thing would be toi check for free play at the master cylinder...

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

I had a problem like this with my '59 Bug a few years ago. It turned out to be swollen brake hoses. They were just old. They looked pretty much okay on the outside. The brakes cylinders would appear to bleed okay but the pedal was stiff and the brakes wouldn't release (quickly) when I let up on the brake pedal.

Reply to
Mike64Bug

be swollen brake hoses. They were just old.

to bleed okay but the pedal was stiff and

Well since the brake lines and flex hoses are all new I'm gonna start with the master cylinder linkage. There isn't ANY freeplay at all. There used to be for the first couple of days...

Reply to
Richard Bourque

You have TWO things to fix. You need to give yourself some free play, and you need to figure out why this changed (if it really did.)

You are clearly on the right track here.

-

Jim Adney

When refering to freeplay and the master cylinder, it should be noted tha the freeplay should be measued between the adustable rod going from the pedal to the master cylinder. Normaly this should not be tampered with, but a change of master might require the re-adjustment of said rod. A few mm's of freeplay/slack is all that is needed between the rod and its seat in the mc.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg