Swing Axle oil Seal problems

Hi,

I hope someone can help me with a very simple problem on my '69 1200 type 1. I have had the car off the road for some time and only recenty started getting into the nitty gritty of getting the old girl back on the road.

When I got it up on stands i noticed that the rear oil seals had gone and the brakes were nicely soaked in gearbox oil. So i have since stripped the bearings down and rebuilt them with new seals. The only thing i didn't do was drain the gearbox oil as speedy jim suggests.

The thing is now I have replaced the seals 4 times and still not managed to get a leak proof bearing. I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong. The only thing I can say is that on stripping for resealing, the reasonably new (i.e no miles old!) bearing main seal with spring is slightly mangled!! It looks like the seal is not fitting over the spacer properly and therefore upon tightening, the seal becomes snagged and gets shredded.

Is there something really basic I am doing wrong?? The second question I was going to ask is does anyone have a good exploded diagram or procedure for refitting the door glass & winder mechanism. Its been a while since I removed this so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Angus

Reply to
roberts.angus

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com...

Hi Angus,

can't help you with the bearings But hope this link for your window will help..

further on this link i noticed a discussion on bearings too.So hopefully this link might be a cure for both of your problems... Roger

Reply to
bug '59

This page of my web site:

There is an article on the swing axle seals.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

It has been many many years since I did this, and it was on a -56, but be aware! One or both the spacers can be mounted the wrong way around..(If so, it will kill the o-ring).

The main oil seal needs to be lubricated, I used Moly-grease, regular oil should do. BUT you will have to be careful and take great care so the lip(s) on the seal face the right way when installed.That is not twisted in opposite direction outwards..

J.

Reply to
Berg