Swingaxle or IRS?

I am putting together a long list of parts to do a complete brake job on my 1968 Bug Sedan (STD).

I see there are some differences with the brake line kits for the type of transmission that you have.

But - how do I tell which one that I have? Swingaxle or IRS?

Thanks,

-Steve Ballantyne

Reply to
steve.ballantyne

if its a stock 68 it'll be swing axel :)

Tricky

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
none

Ah. Unless it is/was an AutoStick. '68 was the first year to have IRS, but only AutoStick models.

And it is a popular conversion to 4-spd, so it pays to look. If there are (2) of these on each axle:

then it is IRS.

One of these each side:

is swing-axle.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Look at the rear axles and see if it has CV's that bolt to flanges at the transaxle and stub axle.

If there's only a booted joint at the transaxle, it's swing axle.

Booted CV's at both ends of each axle, it's IRS.

Reply to
Project Magnet #1

So, it's a 1968 with a standard transaxle. I 'should be' a swingaxle !!?

Reply to
Jim347a

Unless a previous owner swapped it over. Doesn't take 30 seconds to look and see if it uses 1 boot on each axle or 2.

Reply to
Project Magnet #1