Testing external regulater alternator

Is there a way to test an alternator with the external regulators on the bench? I can send one to be rebuilt for $60 but it would be cheaper for a customer if we can find a good used alternator.

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys

Try this:

Connect a 12V bulb (brake light style) from battery (+) to the DF terminal. Ground the D- terminal. Connect the big B+ post to battery (+). No connection to D+ terminal.

Spin the alternator at ~1000 RPM or better. (You figger out how to do that :-)

See if battery voltage rises (no exact number...)

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks Jim

It turned out to be a bad regulator, he was able to drive away today. This was a 73 with a sp engine and generator with a mess of hacked wiring.(might have had engine fire)

I replaced the complete main harness (used) and put a spacer under the carb to clear the alternator.

All said and done everything worked out well.

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys