thermostats

they don't control anything... Al was right, even vw was wrong... Just noticed while scanning a factory owner's manual for a friend that VW described the engine as Air cooling by fan, thermostat controlled... odd...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

If you want to get picky, it's also controlled by the driver's right foot. Eh?

Max

Reply to
Max

nah, the thermostat still controls the coolant flow.. if you have a deficiency in the flow department, that is beyond the control of the thermostat... even further down your turn, if you remove the belt, even the driver's foot is taken out of the loop...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

A buddy of mine observed an engine on a dyno where the thermostat was opening then closing as each pull was performed.

Max

Reply to
Max

absolutley, but that is due to waste heat from the engine being placed under load on the dyno, not by the position of the throttle... the two may be linked, but they are not absolute.. for example an(our aircooled engines) can, and will, put off more waste heat in a higher gear at low rpms with the throttle at X position than it will in a proper gear that puts the engine in it's most efficient range at the same throttle position... and to tie this back into our dear friend Al's original post, that is why they recommend loading and heating up the engine in a high gear at lower rpm's to seat the rings...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Of course. My point was that the thermostat really can _regulate_ engine temp (within a certain range), not just open and stay open like many people seem to think.

My comment about the throttle earlier was to point out that the amount of heat being generated is influenced strongly by how hard the operator insists on pushing the engine. Meaning that if the engine is getting too hot, slowing down will probably help.

Al? Oh yeah...

IGoogle is showing this as a new thread. I missed that you meant to continue the previous one (that Jan likes so much). :D

Max

Reply to
Max

and that is no different than my statements in the "other" thread...

I agree

I didn't mean to continue that thread, this was intended as a stand alone thread, just in response to the expert information given by Al in the "other" thread...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Speaking of thermostats, anyone know where to find new ones? Can you still get the new coil type Brazilian thermostats? Anyone tried those yet?

Anyone know where to find a thermostat for a '31 Buick? :D Same principle... sits behind the radiator (outside of it, not in water) and opens/closes shutters behind the rad to control (yikes!) air flow through the rad.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

i never tried one of the newer style, and if I'm not mistaken I read that they were discontinued also...

hmm.. interesting... Can't help ya there either...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I have a couple OG style stats in reserve. There will come a time when even the used ones are gone.

Max

Reply to
Max

yep... I've kept every one I've come across...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I did too.. but let go of my stash (of everything) when I moved here. Argh.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

the things men do for....um.... love....hehe

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Poontang..

J.