Throwout Bearing Change

I have a 68 typeII with old style throwout bearing. I want to change to newer style with a guide sleeve for the throwout bearing.

Questions: Is changing the bellhousing required? I do not see provisions for mounting guide sleeve on mine with the three bolts.

Will a 72 bellhousing complete with clutch lever swap with my 68 bellhousing? I have a 72 trans complete.

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Doreen Allen

Thanks, I just sent him an e-mail requesting some info.

Jan Anderss>

Reply to
Doreen Allen

WHAT? you can change the throwout bearing? can i change my late 71 beetle throwout bearing to an early 71 style????? then i could take back the new clutch and pressure plate i just bought!!!

Reply to
VWGirl

Reply to
Doreen Allen

Sure you can. You can use either type of TO bearing in any tranny, mix and match. Just need to replace the fork, teh TO bearing alone wont fit on the "wrong" fork. And now you know about the guide tube trick to allow you to use later fork and TO bearing in an iolder tranny. The later TO bearing NEEEEDS to have the guide tube!!

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

the 71-72' fork will fit the earlier trans, you can not interchange the

60-72' forks with a 73 and newer.

John

Reply to
John Connolly

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 19:51:49 -0600, "John Connolly" ran around screaming and yelling:

(to further clarify) the 73-up fork has a shaft that is about twice the diameter of the earlier ones.. J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

you mean 73' 1/2.

it's not THAT much of a big deal to get in a pissing match over, I was just trying to help them out.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:29:55 -0600, "John Connolly" left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

I think he was, too. Possibility? Yes.

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:29:55 -0600, "John Connolly" ran around screaming and yelling:

sorry john...no offense intended...was just trying to point out the visual difference for those that *don't* know the difference...i'm sure you *do* and i certainly do, but that doesn't mean everyone here (lurkers) included do...(besides i just reposted your date (73) as the changeover, because i just know that it was later than early 72...im no expert, i only go by what i have direct experience with..) J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

It's been a long time since I tried mixing parts like that, so I can't give you a 100% guarantee based on personal experience.. But I *hear* the dimensions and everything else is exactly the same so it is a direct swap, only problem being with the guide sleeve which must be used.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Why? Thx for the info btw

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I am about to find out :) I bought a fork rebuild kit for a late swingaxle and an early fork. It looks like its the same.

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

NP.

in 71' models they changed to the late style T/O bearing. This continued thru 1972 models, and in mid 73' they changed to the "Super Beetle IRS Trans", which includes the single side cover trans case, MUCH stronger mainshaft, and much weaker reverse, along with the "fat" T/O shaft. Other notable changes are the longer clutch shaft ARM (where the clutch cable adjusts), along with a longer arm at the pedal assy. A "stiff" clutch pedal is often caused by someone installing a late pedal assy into the car (with the long arm), which reduces leverage and gives you a stiff pedal, AND over-centers the pressure plate resulting in pressure plate failures often.

I run the early pedal assy with the long arm on my trans, gives easy leverage. There are several lengths of arm at the trans, even the mexibeetles used a different one. They range from around 70-110mm.

Reply to
John Connolly

Live and learn!

Great info, thanks John

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Wow, I never knew that the pedal lever also changed.

I've done this without realizing it. Works nicely. Glad I didn't accidentally make the mistake of going the other way.

-

Jim Adney